Last Of The Summer Wine - Series 31 Page 3

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 27 2010, 1:00 AM BST

He's 89 FFS !

Frankly for our sake he should be confined to a recording studio reciting all possible words and phrases that Wallace could ever use. I don't think this would be cruel in any way.

Quote: David Carmon @ July 27 2010, 1:02 AM BST

At the time it started he wasnt old I meant

Oh, I see. Sorry.

Sallis was cast in a one-off pilot for Comedy Playhouse entitled "Funerals and Fish" (1973), which became Last of the Summer Wine

Well, I never knew that. Wonder if it's still around somewhere?

Quote: Badge @ July 27 2010, 1:02 AM BST

Frankly for our sake he should be confined to a recording studio reciting all possible words and phrases that Wallace could ever use. I don't think this would be cruel in any way.

I agree with that.

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 27 2010, 1:04 AM BST

Oh, I see. Sorry.

Sallis was cast in a one-off pilot for Comedy Playhouse entitled "Funerals and Fish" (1973), which became Last of the Summer Wine

Well, I never knew that. Wonder if it's still around somewhere?

It should have been on series 1 and 2 but it was omitted for some reason Angry

Quote: Dave @ July 26 2010, 10:01 PM BST

I'm amazed people keep mentioning the bath scene. It was over twenty years ago. If someone mentions Only Fools and Horses, someone else doesn't say, "There're always falling chandeliers in that programme and men falling over in bars."

I know it's like the 'Dead Parrot' of LOTSW, its always trotted out when referring to the show. Don't even get it right, IIRC there is one scene where Compo goes down a street in a bath and that's it

I didn't find Sunday's episode at all funny and it's one of my favourite sitcoms

4.77 million for the first episode.

Bet it drops like a shit from a dogs arse after people saw how awful it was.

A lot of the appeal for me came when they introduced actors from other famous programmes: 'Are You Being Served?', 'On The Buses', 'Coronation Street', 'Meet The Wife' to mention three. It may have helped its longevity? Who knows? And to be honest, who cares anyway?

I know but you spend most of the time going "Ah it's so-and-so from...". Pity Thora Hird's gone, she could have been reunited with Christopher Beeny.

Nevertheless, it was liked enough by somebody to make 30 odd series.

They should have finished it after three or four series and made something else. They can now, I guess and it'll probably be twice as bad.

What in the name of f**k was that? I honestly think that was one of the worst episodes of anything I have ever watched. I got upto the first scene of Glenda and Barry, fastforwarded until Marina and Howard came on and then again to see if Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton appeared again but no!!!

So we had half an hour with only thirty seconds, if that of Peter and Frank looking for a button. Does Roy Clarke know how to write anymore? What have Clegg and Truly actually got to do with the plot now? Nothing. It seems like every character is just there because...they just are.

I hate the new trio and there are a handful of other new characters I can't stand. It was just one huge hodge-podge of different characters and different scenes that didn't really tie in together that well. I've never quite enjoyed Roy Clarke's slow moving writing as much as the fast paced Vicar of Dibley for example but seriously!!

He wrote a "quiet" last episode? Why? Why the f**k did he do that? In all honesty, if you gave me a few days, a list of the worthwhile characters and a laptop I could write something ten times more original and fantastic than that episode. I watched about five minutes overall. The sad thing is, there's still some potential there.

If Roy Clarke knew it was the last series why didn't he pull out all the stops? I don't understand why we have ninety minutes of bad "I hated my wife" and "marriage is shit" jokes? I mean honestly, there wasn't a scene that went by without a joke about marriage or an ex-wife. There would be so many ways to add a bit of edge to it.

All in all the cast are looking pretty old. Surprisingly the woman that plays Peral looks a lot younger out of costume, I saw a picture of her last week when I clicked on a link posted on IMDB. Marina, Howard, Clegg, Truly, Miss Davenport...they all look pretty terrible. I reckon if the quality of the episodes were better the BBC would have commissioned another couple of series, especically if the quality encouraged viewer numbers of around the four million mark. It'll go down from here...

Must admit if that episode was an intro to LOTSW for anyone they would never guess Clegg had been on the show since day one, he was virtually an extra. Angry

Quote: Shepka @ July 31 2010, 4:55 PM BST

What in the name of f**k was that? I honestly think that was one of the worst episodes of anything I have ever watched. I got upto the first scene of Glenda and Barry, fastforwarded until Marina and Howard came on and then again to see if Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton appeared again but no!!!

So we had half an hour with only thirty seconds, if that of Peter and Frank looking for a button. Does Roy Clarke know how to write anymore? What have Clegg and Truly actually got to do with the plot now? Nothing. It seems like every character is just there because...they just are.

I hate the new trio and there are a handful of other new characters I can't stand. It was just one huge hodge-podge of different characters and different scenes that didn't really tie in together that well. I've never quite enjoyed Roy Clarke's slow moving writing as much as the fast paced Vicar of Dibley for example but seriously!!

I didn't even bother watching the new episode due to the terrible reviews it has got on this forum. I questioned Roy Clark's mental state of mind due to his age in a previous thread and got hung, drawn and quartered for it. Is it surprising considering the quality of recent episodes. It's as if Roy Clark logs onto his computer, puts on a software programme titled 'Last of the Summer Wine script' goes outside and mows the lawn and comes back and the script is printed off for him.
Tonight's episode looks extremely unappealling. Them two Policemen are in trouble with their Seargent due to them leaving too many crums in their Police-Car.

As for the characters, there are way too many of them. Agree totally Shepka, just a hodge podge through different characters. It was so much funnier when there were just a few characters.
Cast list for the first series (1973)
Michael Bates as Cyril Blamaire
Bill Owen as Compo Simonite
Peter Sallis as Norman Clegg
John Comer as Sid
Jane Freeman as Ivy
Kathy Staff as Nora Batty
Blake Butler as Mr Wainwright
Rosemary Martin as Miss Partridge

Here is the cast list for the final series (2010)
Peter Sallis as Norman Clegg
Frank Thornton as Herbert Truelove
Brian Murphy as Alvin Smedley
Burt Kwoak as Entwistle
Russ Abbot as Hobbo
Barbara Young as Stella
Jane Freeman as Ivy
Tom Owen as Tom Simonite
Sarah Thomas as Glenda Wilkinson
Mike Grady as Barry Wilkinson
Robert Fyfe as Howard
Julliette Kaplan as Pearl
Jean Ferguson as Marina
Jean Alexander as Auntie Wainwright
Christopher Beeney as Morton Beemish
Josephine Tewson as Miss Davenport
June Whitfield as Nelly
Trevor Bannister as Toby Milbury Smith
Ken Kitson as PC Kitson
Louis Emerik as PC Walsh.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 1 2010, 1:33 PM BST

Tonight's episode looks extremely unappealling. Them two Policemen are in trouble with their Seargent due to them leaving too many crums in their Police-Car.

Ohhhh dear haha. Yeah I mean Roy Clarke was never a brilliant brilliant writer but Keeping Up Appearances had some true wit and Hyacinth's lines were always classic. Last of the Summer Wine was always slow-moving but each episode is like an "insert wife joke here" type thing. Everythings a build up to a joke about someone's derranged and estranged wife. He should write a one-off Keeping Up Appearances where, to Hyacinth's disgust Onslow and Daisy win the lottery. I wonder if he wasn't that motivated to write more series of Last of the Summer Wine?

You called me Shepka Laughing out loud I forgot I was called that on here. Yeah I mean, I'd keep Howard, Marina, Miss Davenport, Clegg, Truly, Barry, Glenda, Aunty Wainright, Pearl and Ivy. The rest are useless. But yeah the last is ludicrously huge, it's almost like a soap where you aren't interested in any of the characters.

This is shit.

This is really really shitty crappy turding no brainer fanny juice.

It's such a shame because I really used to like this show. Which I know is really odd as I'm a teenager. But this series is really leaving me cold... worse than that actually. It's awful. :(