Last Of The Summer Wine - Series 31

Though I detest this show now, I do feel the final series of this sitcom deserves a thread of its own, as a very familiar sitcom over the last 37 years is departing our screens and despite me hating it now, I absolutely loved the early episodes of this.
Haven't watched the opener tonight, will try and watch a few episodes from the final series and especially will watch the final episode. So, anyone watch tonight's opener?

No, I was putting some shelves up.

I've always thought LOTSW was either good or at least OK, can't see anything there to hate.

Artistically though, they probably should have stopped making it a long, long time ago.

I wonder why they didn't? Ratings?

Also I suppose, in this show, it didn't matter if the actors got old as they started off old!

I watched it, it was crap.

The Countryfile that followed was much better and funnier.

I am a huge fan of LOTSW especially the 'Foggy' era.

I watched it tonight, mainly it has to be said, attracted by the fact that June Whitfield was in it.

Dire, utterly dire.

So very sad.

:(

I tried to watch but couldn't keep track/attention. There seemed to be a few reasonably alright gags, and of course the performances continue to be pretty top, but... yeah.

I can't recall what the final line in the episode was but I remember saying out loud "that's just not funny, why's that funny?" then I snarled at the TV as the credits rolled.

I seem to be stuck eternally in that mode with telly comedy these days, David.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 25 2010, 10:23 PM BST

can't see anything there to hate.

The reason I never watched it was that I always got an overwhelming feeling that the characters were leading a depressingly futile existence, in which even their conversations were entirely pointless, and everything they experienced or owned was irredeemably decrepit. This feeling might have been ameliorated had there been anything remotely funny in it.

Quote: David Carmon @ July 25 2010, 11:51 PM BST

I watched it, it was crap.

The Countryfile that followed was much better and funnier.

What kind of tribute was that?

It only had Tom Owen and Jean Fergusson. No Peter Sallis, June Whitfield, no interview with the writer. Hundreds of actors and comedians have been in it-where were they? It all seemed like an afterthought.

Quote: Nogget @ July 26 2010, 6:24 AM BST

The reason I never watched it was that I always got an overwhelming feeling that the characters were leading a depressingly futile existence, in which even their conversations were entirely pointless, and everything they experienced or owned was irredeemably decrepit. This feeling might have been ameliorated had there been anything remotely funny in it.

1. Horses for courses?

2. High ratings for many years!

3. 'Hate' should only be reserved for truly awful shows like 'Outnumbered'.

Frankie xxx ;)

I truly loathed the premise, it felt like being stuck in a smelly old people's home. By comparison, the premise of Porridge might on the surface appear similarly depressing, since it involves incarceration and brutality, but these dark elements highlighted the comedy to brilliant effect. IMO, of course.

I think you're right about Porridge.

I think LOTSW started off OK but possibly it became a bit of an icon with an older audience and they watched it regardless of its declining quality, as they hated just about everything else on telly (except repeats of Porridge).

I don't think the Countryfile edition was a good 'tribute' to it at all as it used to be a great sitcom and deserves a good one hour special tribute show.

All I meant was that I enjoyed the edition of Countryfile alot more than the actual show itself.

Which in fairness, was pure shite.

I have to say I never used to be a fan of the show, but started watching the repeats on GOLD last year and found the episodes with Foggy, Cleggy and Compo extremely amusing. So much so that my partner and myself went to Holmfirth to see the village and eat in the Cafe.

I also have to say that it is time for the show to retire. Once Bill Owen died, the show went downhill and rapidly worse recently. I tried to watch the start of the last series last night, but lost interest and couldn't keep up. Not least cause it really was an "out to graze" for old actors - Russ Abbott, Brian Murphy (who I am a fan), Burt Kwouk, Trevor Bannister, Josephine Tewson to name but a few.

It was sad to see how old Peter Sallis looked as well as Frank Thornton and Mike Grady - yet Howard and Marina still look pretty much the same.

I will definitely keep on watching the old episodes for laughs, with the trio of Foggy, Cleggy and Compo - and not the more recent ones. Sorry BBC, but it really should have been put to pasture years ago.

Roy Clarke says that he knew it was the last series and wrote a 'quiet' last episode.

So, that'll be the 'assisted suicide' storyline out, then?

Shame that the show didn't get the boot a few years ago really, maybe when Bill Owen died. It was a genuinely great show in the 1970s/80s.