Sherlock Page 71

Quote: Harridan @ February 28 2012, 1:19 PM GMT

it was based in a more real world, where not not everyone moons as a Calvin Klein model.

Please Harridan there is a place/thread for these sort of fantasisings.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 28 2012, 1:10 PM GMT

Aside from 'The Doctor's Wife', it was all noisy, shrill, pointless and a slightly less amount of money spent on nothing.

While I agree broadly with your poo-pooery of British drama in favour of superior American output, I'd disagree about The Doctors Wife. It was okay, but it was dramatically a bit inert.

Sorry never seen the bugger.

Quote: Marc P @ February 28 2012, 1:21 PM GMT

Please Harridan there is a place/thread for these sort of fantasisings.

Naughty

Spooks was a 'terrorist plot of the week' sort of show - plenty of explosions and shootings and that sort of thing - but it was based in a more real world, where not everyone lives forever and not everyone moonlights as a Calvin Klein model.

I really did try and give Spooks a go, but it falls into that horrible British cliche of every character must be incredibly flawed all of the time for the sake of creating drama.

That's why I enjoyed Sherlock so much, it bypassed a lot of bilge and just concentrated on the story.

Every new cop show seems to be about someone with a drink / drug / relationship problem and the crime plots are kind of tacked on. (Having said that, I loved the very underated American show Monk, which did concentrate on his OCD, so I am a complete hypocrite).

Spooks was a 'terrorist plot of the week' sort of show - plenty of explosions and shootings and that sort of thing - but it was based in a more real world, where not everyone lives forever and not everyone moonlights as a Calvin Klein model.

And what about crime drama? Stuff like Messiah and Whitechapel which are very over-the-top in terms of the spectacle of the crimes and murderers?

No they all looked like Boden models.

But it had a definite foot in the real world. I liked all the uncertainty of the relationship with a post Communist Russia.

Quote: sootyj @ February 28 2012, 1:41 PM GMT

No they all looked like Boden models.

sexy sexy Peter Firth...

What did I tell you Haridan!!!

Tuts.

And what about crime drama? Stuff like Messiah and Whitechapel which are very over-the-top in terms of the spectacle of the crimes and murderers?

I thought last night's Whitechapel was thoroughly enjoyable.
Silly, but a hell of a lot of fun.

What I dislike abouta lot of US dramas is they hook you with a premis (Defying Gravity, The Event etc etc) then turn it into a soap.

The concept of a 2,3 or six-parter with a self contained storyline seems to be beyond them. They're all looking for the next Lost - it's all about creating a franchise rather than great drama.

So there.

Quote: Lazzard @ February 28 2012, 3:05 PM GMT

I thought last night's Whitechapel was thoroughly enjoyable.
Silly, but a hell of a lot of fun

I've been enjoying it too. Shame they couldn't come up with a credible excuse for Steve Pemberton's continued presence, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

Quote: Lazzard @ February 28 2012, 3:05 PM GMT

The concept of a 2,3 or six-parter with a self contained storyline seems to be beyond them. They're all looking for the next Lost - it's all about creating a franchise rather than great drama.

So there.

Great drama like Breaking Bad, Homeland and Mad Men?

Yes, they don't seem to really do the very short run things though. I think it just depends what American channel is behind it; some go for the twenty part thing that will last as long as possible, others have more limited run series and tend to make more quality fare.

Laughing out loud Thought Lazzard said; ' Lock you up with a penis' Crikey, need new glasses!!

No BAFTA nomination for "Sherlock"?
Am I alone in my aghastment?

Quote: Lazzard @ April 30 2012, 10:33 AM BST

No BAFTA nomination for "Sherlock"?
Am I alone in my aghastment?

No you are not if the comments on Bafta's website are anything to go by -

http://www.bafta.org/television/awards/nominees-winner-2012,3256,BA.html

BTW, have a look at the best sitcom category - :(

Yep. Rev to win.