Sherlock Page 68

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2012, 3:52 PM GMT

You DON'T like all his stuff? This is brand new information!
It doesn't change the fact he currently runs two hit shows, which was my point, whatever I or some other bod on the internet actually thinks of the quality of them. Whether they're good or not is besides the point.

And I'm sure Michael Bay's smug about his hit Transformer films too.

Quote: chipolata @ January 21 2012, 4:01 PM GMT

And I'm sure Michael Bay's smug about his hit Transformer films too.

Good point.

He's probably smug about tying his shoelaces.

Quote: zooo @ January 21 2012, 4:03 PM GMT

He's probably smug about tying his shoelaces.

:P
He has a jive talking CGI robot to do that for him.

Quote: Frantically @ January 21 2012, 3:26 PM GMT

True, but it was still a bit of a lame letoff unless it was actually significant. Doesn't seem to have been used in Series 2, so maybe it's going to crop up in series 3. Moffat does seem to like those little clues planted early on that payoff much later.

Or maybe I've simply spent too much time reading this thread. :)

From presumptions and what others have said I think it was that when Moriarty told Sherlock he'd already told him what the final problem was, it was 'stayin alive'?

Quote: Frantically @ January 21 2012, 3:37 PM GMT

Ah, I missed that.

On an unrelated note I've just realised - Kevin Spacey was Keyser Soze all along!!

:O

Quote: Frantically @ January 21 2012, 3:07 PM GMT

Would a writer of Moffat's skill and use such a 'Deus ex Machina' to save his hero?

The phone call didn't bother me at all in that respect. It was unexpected enough to be interesting rather than a cop-out.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2012, 3:52 PM GMT

You DON'T like all his stuff? This is brand new information!
It doesn't change the fact he currently runs two hit shows, which was my point, whatever I or some other bod on the internet actually thinks of the quality of them. Whether they're good or not is besides the point.

What does runs mean Matthew?

It means he's in charge of the costume department.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 21 2012, 3:27 PM GMT

No, it's what Carpark said.

Just watched the opening again and you and RC are quite right. Still seems a bit lame to me though - Sherlock and his ultimate nemesis finally meet and one or both of them absolutely has to die...then Moriarty gets a call from a client and the tension just fizzles out.

Never mind, it turned into a great episode and I do love the show. Martin Freeman's great and Benedict Cumberbatch is a star.

Quote: Frantically @ January 21 2012, 11:05 PM GMT

Just watched the opening again and you and RC are quite right. Still seems a bit lame to me though - Sherlock and his ultimate nemesis finally meet and one or both of them absolutely has to die...

Although I'm not sure at that stage Moriarty was Sherlock's ultimate nemesis. That came - and probably comes - later.

Nah - he is, was and always will be Sherlock's ultimate nemesis (although Sherlock did battle Dracula in a radio play :)).

That much is clear from the books and I think is definitely implied in this TV incarnation, even at the end of series 1.

Quote: Frantically @ January 21 2012, 11:55 PM GMT

Nah - he is, was and always will be Sherlock's ultimate nemesis

Definitely. Although I think at the end of series one Sherlock hadn't had many dealings with him so he wasn't much of a nemesis. Fast forward to the end of series two and now there's more antagonism and story between them.

True, but now they're both dead...or are they?

No, both still alive. (That's what I reckon anyway)

Quote: Frantically @ January 21 2012, 11:05 PM GMT

- Sherlock and his ultimate nemesis finally meet and one or both of them absolutely has to die...

Not at all. As was suggested here, Sherlock could have shot the bomb (assuming that would actually set it off) whist he and Watson jumped into the pool with the explosion ripping all around them; cue exciting footage of them underwater with flames above, and them emerging gasping into a now-empty burnt-out pool with Watson blinking and asking "what just happened?" and Sherlock quipping something like "Incendiary, my dear Watson" (although Moffat might be keeping puns on that misquotation for later).

When I said they absolutely had to die I didn't mean it literally. Just that that was the dramatic tension, the cliffhanger that spanned the two series and kept you guessing - like the current one about Sherlock and Moriarty being dead. When it just fizzled out I was disappointed, and if the current cliffhanger just fizzles out at the start of series 3 I'll be disappointed again. I'l still watch it though.

Quote: Nogget @ January 22 2012, 6:56 AM GMT

As was suggested here, Sherlock could have shot the bomb (assuming that would actually set it off) whist he and Watson jumped into the pool with the explosion ripping all around them; cue exciting footage of them underwater with flames above, and them emerging gasping into a now-empty burnt-out pool with Watson blinking and asking "what just happened?" and Sherlock quipping something like "Incendiary, my dear Watson" (although Moffat might be keeping puns on that misquotation for later).

They could have done that, but they went with Moriarty getting a phone call instead.