The gambling thread Page 22

I'm going to put a bet on at the Grand National how many horses die in or as a result of the race. I think 3 this year.

So if two have died half way round will you be paying for a fatality?

Quote: lofthouse @ April 2 2013, 9:45 PM BST

So if two have died half way round will you be paying for a fatality?

I'd rather lose but I'm just highlighting what a barbaric event this is.

Oh!

Well apparently they've made it a bit safer this year

The horses are being issued with motorcycle helmets and shin pads

And taken the arseholes off their backs?

Ha!

Seriously though I think whips should be banned from the national

The horses are already at breaking point after 3 miles of chaos - they don't need beating into the bargain

I understand the concern but, unfortunately, to ride the National without a "whip" would be like trying to steer a boat without a rudder. For example when you get to the elbow between the final fence and the winning post, the horse's natural instinct, without correction, is to veer left, as that's what it did on the previous circuit, and go round for a third time rather than to head straight on down the finishing straight.

A lot of the problem is perception. Calling it a "whip" in itself is something of a misnomer. It is not a whip as the man on the Clapham omnibus might perceive one. It is in fact essentially a foam covered stick.

I quote from David Muir, the RSPCA consultant who liaises with the racing industry:

"The whip is needed for safety and discipline in races but how do you quantify encouragement? That's the area that needs addressing.

The whip is a work in progress. The one used now in racing bears no comparison whatever to the whip used five years ago. If I'd have hit myself hard on the back of the hand with a whip from five years ago, I'd break all four fingers. I could do it with the current whip and not even leave a mark.

The current whip has a cylindrical core covered with foam. As it tapers down to the part which strikes the horse, it flattens out into a foam covered paddle which gives on contact with the horse and the reduction in pain, compared with the old whip, is dramatic.

Used in the backhand style, the whip is perfectly acceptable, it's when jockeys change to the forehand - that's where I fall out.

We need to make sure that the correct balance is reached in whip design and in its use by jockeys. Doubling the foam-covering for example would make the whip useless for correction and discipline purposes. But used in the backhand position, I can never see a point in the future where I, or the RSPCA, would have a problem with the whip."

Quote: Billy Bunter @ April 3 2013, 7:16 PM BST

racing bears

Now that is a cruel sport.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ April 3 2013, 7:16 PM BST

I understand the concern but, unfortunately, to ride the National without a "whip" would be like trying to steer a boat without a rudder. For example when you get to the elbow between the final fence and the winning post, the horse's natural instinct, without correction, is to veer left, as that's what it did on the previous circuit, and go round for a third time rather than to head straight on down the finishing straight.

A lot of the problem is perception. Calling it a "whip" in itself is something of a misnomer. It is not a whip as the man on the Clapham omnibus might perceive one. It is in fact essentially a foam covered stick.

I quote from David Muir, the RSPCA consultant who liaises with the racing industry:

"The whip is needed for safety and discipline in races but how do you quantify encouragement? That's the area that needs addressing.

The whip is a work in progress. The one used now in racing bears no comparison whatever to the whip used five years ago. If I'd have hit myself hard on the back of the hand with a whip from five years ago, I'd break all four fingers. I could do it with the current whip and not even leave a mark.

The current whip has a cylindrical core covered with foam. As it tapers down to the part which strikes the horse, it flattens out into a foam covered paddle which gives on contact with the horse and the reduction in pain, compared with the old whip, is dramatic.

Used in the backhand style, the whip is perfectly acceptable, it's when jockeys change to the forehand - that's where I fall out.

We need to make sure that the correct balance is reached in whip design and in its use by jockeys. Doubling the foam-covering for example would make the whip useless for correction and discipline purposes. But used in the backhand position, I can never see a point in the future where I, or the RSPCA, would have a problem with the whip."

This may be my favourite, ever, post. This has increased my whip knowledge considerably.

Really?

My fave whip trivia Is that the SNAP! of a whip cracking is a sonic boom caused by the whip breaking the sound barrier

Sweeeet

Quote: lofthouse @ April 4 2013, 6:15 PM BST

Really?

My fave whip trivia Is that the SNAP! of a whip cracking is a sonic boom caused by the whip breaking the sound barrier

Sweeeet

Shite, man everybody knows that!

There's proper whip knowledge up there that is ( surprisingly for me anyway ) Quite Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFsSF57E9ZE

Two horses dead and that's before The National . . .

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 5 2013, 4:31 PM BST

Two horses dead and that's before The National . . .

What odds did you get?

Gone for these 4

Teaforthree
Balthazar king
Cappa bleu
Chicago grey