Episodes - Series 1 Page 23

Quote: Griff @ February 9 2011, 12:46 PM GMT

Accept that the opening episode of this was a bit ordinary. But does that mean David Crane, the man who wrote Friends, "can't write sitcom", as if it's some you-can-do-it-or-you-can't thing? We should all like to be able to "not write sitcom" as well as him.

If he wrote this then he can't, no. I'm not interested in what it says on his CV.

If you take three shots to hit the target you're not a marksman.

He obviously can; just in this case he turned out a bit of a dud. Not everything a writer, even a very good writer, comes up with is going to turn into gold.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 9 2011, 1:05 PM GMT

He obviously can; just in this case he turned out a bit of a dud. Not everything a writer, even a very good writer, comes up with is going to turn into gold.

How exactly is a bad piece of writing proof that someone can write well?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 9 2011, 1:11 PM GMT

How exactly is a bad piece of writing proof that someone can write well?

How exactly did I say it was?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ February 9 2011, 12:50 PM GMT

You should read these reviews from the US -

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/episodes-us/season-1/critic-reviews

I couldn't believe what I was reading!

Interesting. Just read some of the headlines without clicking into the reviews themselves. Out of interest how's this been received here by the press etc? Must have a Google and see what I can find.

The American ones seem bit OTT all right, but I'm quite enjoying this show as I've said. But I'm aware that I'm one of the very few on here who do.

I just don't get why it's being so hated. The main criticism being levelled at it is that it's just not funny. I have to disagree as I find plenty of humour in it.

I certainly don't hate it, I just think it very disappointing considering who's involved. Frustrating too when you consider how good LeBlanc has been.

I don't hate it either, first episode aside, it's been okay.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 9 2011, 1:05 PM GMT

He obviously can

I'd say it's pretty clear, considering the conversation that was going on, that when I said 'He obviously can' I was referring to Friends.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 9 2011, 1:37 PM GMT

I'd say it's pretty clear, considering the conversation that was going on, that when I said 'He obviously can' I was referring to Friends.

I'd say it was equally obvious when I said 'someone who takes three shots to hit the target is not a marksman' I wasn't claiming he couldn't hit the target at all.

I've only seen the first episode of 'Episodes' but I saw it twice and it was painting by numbers.

As for his Friends episodes, are you aware that although he thought up the idea of the show (with another person) he only wrote FIFTEEN of the 238 episodes. And again, he wrote them in partnership with another person. I haven't seen them but maybe they're not the best episodes.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 9 2011, 2:30 PM GMT

I'd say it was equally obvious when I said 'someone who takes three shots to hit the target is not a marksman' I wasn't claiming he couldn't hit the target at all.

Not obvious to me, at least. And if it was 'equally obvious', how come you got the wrong end of the stick with my post??

I haven't seen them

And so any comment regarding his Friends work is pointless.

he only wrote FIFTEEN of the 238 episodes.

That's two and a half series worth over here!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 9 2011, 2:57 PM GMT

Not obvious to me, at least. And if it was 'equally obvious', how come you got the wrong end of the stick with my post??

I didn't get the wrong end of the stick, you just jumped into the thread to disagree with my hypothesis that if you can't write a good opening episode you can't write a good sitcom. This is clearly hyperbole, but the thrust is, it's easier to write an opener, so if your opener is poor, you're probably a mediocre writer.

Another way of looking at it is that if you're a great writer, an opening episode is a good opportunity to give a bravura performance of your skills.

And so any comment regarding his Friends work is pointless.

Not pointless, just speculative which is exactly what I said - 'maybe'.

That's two and a half series worth over here!

It's not much when you consider he 'co-created' the series and it ran for ten years... He didn't write a single episode by himself. I know TV comedy works differently in the US but compare with one of your writing heroes - Graham Linehan.

I don't think he's a terrible writer, but it's clear that he's no comedy genius - hence the formulaic, and predictable first episode of 'Episodes'.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 9 2011, 3:57 PM GMT

I didn't get the wrong end of the stick,

Well, you took my post to mean one thing, when I actually meant something else. How else would you describe it?!

Not pointless, just speculative which is exactly what I said - 'maybe'.

Quite, but as it's only a speculative 'maybe' it doesn't add much to the discussion.

It's not much when you consider he 'co-created' the series and it ran for ten years... He didn't write a single episode by himself. I know TV comedy works differently in the US but compare with one of your writing heroes - Graham Linehan.

To be fair, up until The IT Crowd, Linehan co-wrote all his stuff too. But sure, it's not a huge amount in a decade long show.

I don't think he's a terrible writer, but it's clear that he's no comedy genius - hence the formulaic, and predictable first episode of 'Episodes'.

I hated that first episode. I think it's improved a bit since, but it's still not doing a whole lot for me.

Does anyone know the US and UK ratings for EPISODES?