Up The Elephant And Round The Castle Page 2

Apparently, Terry the Chef from Fawlty Towers played Brian the Barman in Up the Elephant Round the Castle. The actor, Brian Hall, sadly died of cancer in 1997. His contribution to Fawlty Towers in particular cannot be underestimated.

Quote: Dave @ September 1, 2007, 3:19 PM

Apparently, Terry the Chef from Fawlty Towers played Brian the Barman in Up the Elephant Round the Castle. The actor, Brian Hall, sadly died of cancer in 1997. His contribution to Fawlty Towers in particular cannot be underestimated.

The character is more or less the same.

Brian Hall could act though - he was superb in Break in the Sun.

Ordered the DVD last night.

Just cancelled my order for the first series as I have bought the complete series off Ebay for £4 more.

Yeah, but what will the quality be like? I got my hands on a copy of the complete series, and it's not exactly brilliant (but still, huge thanks to my source there, and I'm working on it).

Was there a spin of series called 'Home James' where Jim Davison gets a job as a chauffeur whose boss was the bloke from the detectives?(not jasper carrott or robert powell-there boss)

Indeed there was!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/h/homejames_66601100.shtml

(George Sewell, his name.)

Funny how you remember these comedies after all these years, remembering Home James! has now triggered another 'comedy' from ITV during this era: Bottle Boys, starring Robin Askwith. I blame my dad for making watch these when I was younger.

The whole thing sounds very wude. I am a christian woman & I do not understand??????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????

Quote: Aaron @ September 5, 2007, 11:20 PM

Yeah, but what will the quality be like? I got my hands on a copy of the complete series, and it's not exactly brilliant (but still, huge thanks to my source there, and I'm working on it).

Did you get it on ebay. I have seen the picture on the box and it looks very good. Oh well as long as it's watchable, I don't mind. Looking forward to watching it.

Nope, I got it through another source. :)

Recieved the DVD this morning. Watched the first two episodes and it's pretty good.

It sounds absolutely vile!

But I do like Terry the Chef.

It's one of those shows that whilst it really isn't brilliant, it's strangely enjoyable, and IMO seems to have received more negativity than it deserves. I think it probably was about 10 years too late though, and would have been far more successful and popular in the comedy climate of the 70s.

Oo, 'comedy climate'. I like that one. :)

Now watched every episode. Most episodes were very good. Definetly recommend it.