Up The Elephant And Round The Castle

Who remembers this great sitcom? I wish I hadn't said what I said about it in my review on the site.

Again, before my time. What would you like to have said in your review? I'm sure that we can add to or change it.

Wasn't this Jim Davidson on a doorstep and a selection of busty blondes?
I can't remember if it was funny or not, but it did have a great name...

Quote: Christian Cawley @ October 24, 2006, 3:46 PM

Wasn't this Jim Davidson on a doorstep and a selection of busty blondes?

That pretty much sums up the plot. I don't remember much about it, save for Jim Davidson opening his front door and addressing the audience at the top of each episode and the fact that Jim Branning from Eastenders was also in it. Not to forget that most of the storylines involved Jim chasing birds and generally being a bit of a geezer. Other than that, I, ahem, remember very little about it.

I actually remember watching this golden nugget and what it showed me was how the title of this 'classic' piece of television was an education in itself on how to be really clever with words. You see what they did was to take a London landmark called 'The Elephant and Castle', played around with the words a bit and came up with 'Up The Elephant and Around The Castle'! Geniarse, pure and simple and I deeply regret the passing of this outstanding contribution to British sitcom entertainment. And to think it was actually written on toilet paper too.

Baumski

Is this going to be released on DVD. I was browsing on play.com and it said that the first series of "Up the Elephant" will be released on DVD on the 10th September 2007. It only says "Up the Elephant", it doesn't say "And Round the Castle". So I'm presuming it is this. If it is, then it will be worth buying.

I watched this when it was first shown and remember it as being in the same (throbing?) vein as 'On the Buses'.

Never heard of this before!

Was Jim Davidson any good as an actor then or is it one of those 'good at the time' type of programs?

Elephant and Castle what a....ok place...the Walworth road...with its tacky eclectic market...the Ministry of Sound club...leading on to Kennington...blimey oh riley...i'm glad i dont live near there any more...and as for the comedy show...a bit "confessions of a window cleaner"

Quote: Reiss Ellesse @ June 11, 2007, 7:02 PM

and as for the comedy show...a bit "confessions of a window cleaner"

Ah! It's like one of 'those' kind of programs then! Not that I have ever seen any of the 'confessions' films that is...

;)

I'm not one to jump on the anti- JD bandwagon but it wasn't very good really. A few good gags with a so-so story line.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 11, 2007, 5:33 PM

Is this going to be released on DVD. I was browsing on play.com and it said that the first series of "Up the Elephant" will be released on DVD on the 10th September 2007. It only says "Up the Elephant", it doesn't say "And Round the Castle". So I'm presuming it is this. If it is, then it will be worth buying.

Interesting Jack, thanks. I need to update our listings and get a new newsletter out.

Well, I've finally got some of this and have been watching, and must say it's actually pretty good. Well, ok, it's not amazing. And obviously by no means the best or most highbrow sitcom ever produced (even by ITV's standards...), but it doesn't deserve the rep it has, and there are some genuinely really funny lines and scenes. Certainly enjoyable, and I would recommend the DVD.

Yes, I'm going to buy the DVD when it comes out

Quote: wii-man76 @ June 11, 2007, 6:54 PM

Never heard of this before!

Was Jim Davidson any good as an actor then or is it one of those 'good at the time' type of programs?

He looked very uncomfortable as an actor.