Bernard Manning Page 4

The world became a better place when he stopped breathing.

:O golly!

Can't say the same about 2.4 children though.. Whistling nnocently

:)

Quote: David Carmon @ June 16 2010, 12:35 PM BST

I wasn't sure about that so I looked into it. According to Wikipedia, Manning died 18 June 2007. Since then we've experienced massive earthquakes in Turkey and Haiti, deadly bushfires in Australia and a global financial crisis. Are you sure you checked your facts properly?

My God Dave!!! :O

You must have the most wicked avatar in The World!

10/10 bad! See me!

Quote: Frankie Rage @ June 16 2010, 4:37 PM BST

My God Dave!!! :O

You must have the most wicked avatar in The World!

10/10 bad! See me!

What can I tell you, I'm as bad as I wanna be!

Bernard Manning did write a good gag, didn't he? Imagine if he'd used his powers for good!

Quote: David Bussell @ June 16 2010, 4:18 PM BST

I wasn't sure about that so I looked into it. According to Wikipedia, Manning died 18 June 2007. Since then we've experienced massive earthquakes in Turkey and Haiti, deadly bushfires in Australia and a global financial crisis. Are you sure you checked your facts properly?

Yes, if anything it's become a worse a place. Come back Bernard.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 16 2010, 7:38 PM BST

Yes, if anything it's become a worse a place. Come back Bernard.

I don't really like the idea of a zombified Bernard walking the earth in the baggy y-fronts he was wearing when he died.

Quote: David Bussell @ June 16 2010, 4:56 PM BST

Bernard Manning did write a good gag, didn't he? Imagine if he'd used his powers for good!

Indeed, Dave.

Like Hitler, he could have done so much better, possibly if he'd had a properly boiled egg for breakfast?

Anyway, we'll never know now!

Quote: David Carmon @ June 16 2010, 12:35 PM BST

Why? Did he have halitosis?

Quote: The Giggle-o @ June 17 2010, 1:17 AM BST

Why? Did he have halitosis?

Quite probably with all the shit that came out of his foul stinking mouth.

Rolling eyes

Oh to be young and full of vim!

Quote: Frankie Rage @ June 17 2010, 3:18 AM BST

Rolling eyes

Oh to be young and full of vim!

And devoid of knowledge . .

I had no time for him back in the day but I saw some excerpts on him on Rude Britainia last night which made me laugh out loud. He is certainly to be preferred to the anodyne 'comedians' of the eighties who replaced him. A point well made by that documentary was that Manning and other working class comedians were the real alternative comedy to the condescending middleclass mainstream who now people the scene.

Well there was a massive grudge by some of them towards the Oxbridge crowd of the 50 and 60s who had gone on to huge success on TV and film, where the money was - The Goons, TWx3 Barker, Cleese, the Pythons were all put above the club comedians and Manning made a very big point about letting them know they were different types and that he and his working class mates had had to graft for their living.

On a Parky interiew in the late 70s when Cook was going through his long bad patch and didn't want to be there, Manning showed no mercy in saying 'You used to be funny, Peter.' and carried on cracking gags as if to show him how it's done. Crude and unkind maybe, but Manning had had a lifeime of being put below that lot and told how he was inferior. You have to remember the class barrier was much bigger then, and Manning had had to really graft to get his name known. It was a major factor behind their cruder, louder, more ascerbic comedy, and why so many of them were much better at put downs and dealing with hecklers. The 'nobs' didn't have to handle real people on TV, they just performed scripts and were directed by other ex Oxbridge chaps.

And Caroline Aherne, as Mrs Merton, certainly found out not to play with the big boys of stand up !

:P