Bernard Manning Page 3

Quote: ajp29 @ April 25, 2007, 3:14 PM

Well, Baumski, 4 years ago he did a gig for the BNP. Case closed.

http://www.funny.co.uk/stand-up-comedy/art_75-966-Bernard-Manning-Racist-Tosser.html

It doesn't say whether he actually went ahead with it though. And besides, that was hardly a professional, balanced piece of reporting, was it?

Anyway, I'd do a gig for them if it paid enough. :P

Yeah but as a stripper Aaron!

... *shudder*

I used to quite like him. Please don't think I'm a nutter, but he was funny in that time before decency. I would have loved to see one of these charity boxing matches between BM and Mary Whitehouse. Although MW is no longer living. Maybe George Romero could help out with this

Sorry - did I stir something up by starting this thread?

Quote: Rosco @ April 25, 2007, 11:19 PM

I used to quite like him. Please don't think I'm a nutter, but he was funny in that time before decency. I would have loved to see one of these charity boxing matches between BM and Mary Whitehouse. Although MW is no longer living. Maybe George Romero could help out with this

Isn't he dead as well?

What are you proposing? Bernie against the Zombies?

Quote: Rosco @ April 25, 2007, 11:19 PM

Although MW is no longer living.

Shit! Mary Whitehouse is dead? And I thought it was just a publicity stunt.

Technically he was brilliant, probably top five ever in terms of delivery. Like Mr Adams said, he was perfection in terms of timing, a master, probably THE master. Never saw him but I've met people who have and they say he had the audience in the palm of his hand, you could hear a pin drop when he was on one of his trademark story gags. We forget how eloquent he was, he was a gifted orator and gag writer, nasty joke or not, he worded them so well, and then there was that perfect timing of the pauses and punchlines. Dedicated amateur comedians reject and ignore him at your peril.

Ah yes didn't Eddie Izzard once heap praise on him for his natural delivery style. Many pros actually rated him, technically.

He was on the telly a lot and we laughed at him. We didn't know it was wrong.

Hey, I still listen to some tapes smuggled out of the 1970s. Of course I feel guilty as hell.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ June 14 2010, 12:32 AM BST

He was on the telly a lot and we laughed at him. We didn't know it was wrong.

Hey, I still listen to some tapes smuggled out of the 1970s. Of course I feel guilty as hell.

Even so he always seemed a fat smug bastard.

Quote: Chappers @ June 14 2010, 6:09 PM BST

Even so he always seemed a fat smug bastard.

As one of the great comics/stand ups ever, he had a lot to be smug about.

Eh?

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 14 2010, 9:04 PM BST

As one of the great comics/stand ups ever, he had a lot to be smug about.

But you always felt he had no respect for his audience.

That's probably because audiences are always full of damn plebs! ;)