Newswipe With Charlie Brooker - Series 2 Page 2

Enjoyable, but it does seem we've heard it all before, which makes me wish he'd come back with a new series of Screenwipe instead. But I love the poems.

Quote: Leeward @ January 27 2010, 12:13 AM GMT

Loved the bit about filler news reports. Hilariously spot on observation there.

That was my favourite bit, very funny. (Charlie looked quite dapper in that segment, too)

The handbag news story was unbelievable. "You do know there are people dying, don't you?" :D

The second episode was more interesting but less entertaining no doubt caused by the Haiti disaster. I usually like Tim the poet but his contribution was very poor indeed. The insert about source naming was fascinating.

Big fan of Brooker. But he seems to be not taking many potshots at the BBC. Obviously there is a wealth of comedy gold/what the hell to pick from all the news channels, but still. Minor gripe, will always watch and undoubtedly laugh too.

Love Doug Stanhope and love - and I mean, absolutely love - the poems. Watched last night's with a group of friends and Tim Key got the biggest belly laugh of the show.

Having said that, episode two wasn't as good as their first - although the fake filler news report was excellent. I've been waiting for something like that for ages.

Without getting into a debate about Y2K it was in context of a string of absurd apocalyptic narratives that the media likes to latch onto.

Not an original point but Newswipe isn't exclusively aimed at news junkies which is part of its strength.

Also has any dickwit at ITV News noticed how much like The Day Today their new theme music and opening graphics are or do they really have a great sense of humour behind their po-faced piss poor news broadcast?

Quote: Pripyat @ January 29 2010, 8:21 AM GMT

...love - and I mean, absolutely love - the poems. Watched last night's with a group of friends and Tim Key got the biggest belly laugh of the show.

Are you sure you're not actually Tim Key?

Not last time I checked, no.

Or, perhaps, the 'threat level' was raised so that Labour can say, come May, "Look, we saved you from this increased terror threat; the Tories would cut defence spending".

Cynical, moi?

(Pity that Brooker didn't make that observation, but then I guess he does has his lefty/anti-Conservative agenda to push.)

Good show last night. And I'm enjoying his continuing attacks on N-Dubz (or whatever that idiotic band are called).

Last night's episode was blinding. I was very, very, very impressed. Every minute of it was by turns fascinating and hilarious. The Haiti piece was very well handled.

Tim Key was not missed.

Stanhope's slot did nothing for me.

Quote: Aaron @ February 2 2010, 11:00 PM GMT

Or, perhaps, the 'threat level' was raised so that Labour can say, come May, "Look, we saved you from this increased terror threat; the Tories would cut defence spending".

Considering nobody gives two hoots about the terrorist threat level any more, and largely ignores it, then it would be a pretty daft electoral strategy.

If no one in the public cares about it or pays any attention to it (probably true) then why do they publicise it in the first place? Given the vagueness, confusion and shifting of everyone involved, as we saw on Newswipe, it doesn't seem to have any basis. It's just one part of a multi-pronged "Labour safe, Tory dangerous" strategy. Just because no one listens to it specifically doesn't mean they won't use it - in fact probably moreso as no one's paid any attention to the detail in order to see through the electioneering.

It's academic anyway. The Tories will win the next election with a thumping great majority.

I'm not so convinced of that. I would be lying if I said I didn't hope it happens though.