Things that piss you off Page 1,315

Quote: Harridan @ October 19 2013, 8:25 PM BST

The thing with the eco-friendly bulbs is that I end up using three to light my room where previously I only had to use one! It's maddening, especially for someone who reads late at night.

Get halogen bulbs. They tend to make them nowadays with the small halogen core bulb mounted inside a larger bulb of the old shape to fit old light fittings.

They are not nearly as efficient as the eco-friendly bulbs, but they are more friendly than the old bulbs. They are more efficient so typically a 40 watt halogen will be as bright as a 60 watt old one and one sold as the equivalent brightness of an old 100 watt bulb might actually consume only about 75 watts.

Quote: Oldrocker @ October 19 2013, 10:16 PM BST

Bet you've never had Jack Frost on the inside of your bedroom windows in a morning.

This one?

Our windows were always full of ice on the inside

We used to put these little foam strips on the window sills so when the ice melted , it would trickle down the windows and then the foam strips would soak it all up

Quote: lofthouse @ October 19 2013, 10:45 PM BST

Our windows were always full of ice on the inside

We used to put these little foam strips on the window sills so when the ice melted , it would trickle down the windows and then the foam strips would soak it all up

Christ! How sophisticated. We just had pools of water lying about.

Pfffft

Pleb ...

Quote: billwill @ October 19 2013, 10:41 PM BST

Get halogen bulbs.

Mine have been expiring quite quickly, much quicker than the old ones. But yes, they do work well, while they actually work.

:( I seem to have 'energy' in hands?....often blow bulbs?? wierd?... static electric??,,,,, my phone battery goes too?...

Quote: Nogget @ October 20 2013, 5:31 AM BST

Mine have been expiring quite quickly, much quicker than the old ones. But yes, they do work well, while they actually work.

Halogen bulbs, possibly, don't like being moved or nudged while hot.

Though they do seem to be OK as car headlights.

Quote: billwill @ October 20 2013, 4:59 PM BST

Halogen bulbs, possibly, don't like being moved or nudged while hot.

Though they do seem to be OK as car headlights.

Mine were in the bathroom, maybe the water vapour hurts them?

Here's a TTPYO; galvanised wheelbarrows with ungalvanised frames. What use is it if the frame rusts away?

Quote: Nogget @ October 20 2013, 5:36 PM BST

Mine were in the bathroom, maybe the water vapour hurts them?

Here's a TTPYO; galvanised wheelbarrows with ungalvanised frames. What use is it if the frame rusts away?

"Put it in a garridge."

"I do not have a garargh."

Touching halogen lamps leaves a trace of oil or grease from your fingers. This acts as a lens concentrating the light in that spot causing a premature failure of the lamp.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ October 20 2013, 8:26 PM BST

Touching halogen lamps leaves a trace of oil or grease from your fingers. This acts as a lens concentrating the light in that spot causing a premature failure of the lamp.

Said Shaun Wallace on The Chase.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ October 20 2013, 8:26 PM BST

I don't think that applies to the ones in which the halogen module is in its quartz bulb, which is then inside a bigger glass bulb, the shape of an old-fashioned bulb.

:( Buying a sports car- then first ride- bleedin red light 'over heating!'.....no fast wham on motorway?.... fook?....bad day guys???..

It's Monday morning, it's pissing down, I'm tired and hungover.

The last thing I needed was some twat bouncing into the lift with his 'Nice weather for ducks eh?' style of bonhommie.

FTFO.