Things that piss you off Page 1,165

That appointment system really is utterly ridiculous and pointless. Just makes no sense! I really can't believe they're still using it.

Quote: Pingl @ December 28 2012, 8:11 PM GMT

Had an ear infection for a week, couldn't see a Doctor because you have to ring on the day at eight, by the time I got through all appointments had gone. Finally saw him today and he asked me why I had left it so long. AHHHHH! Why can't you just make a bloody appointment, what if your elderly or your child is sick? I don't mind waiting but this first come first served nonsense makes no sense, just let people make advance appointments, it worked very well for years.

It began as a way of manipulating the 48 hour waiting time target for GP access; if you only allow same day appointments then the target is going to be met. The success in meeting the targets was something the last Government hailed as a great success.

The coalition has relaxed the target to allow more prioritisation, but the basic problem of insufficient GP provision remains. It is difficult to see how heaping the GPs we do have with additional administrative burdens is going to help that.

Quote: Nogget @ December 28 2012, 8:33 PM GMT

And as for the money-making accusation regarding doctors; absolutely! For example, if they offer you a flu-jab, be aware that they get a significant wodge for every injection.

Same here in Switzerland. If you get to the wrong doctor then it's like a sales talk; he tries to sell crap you don't need. And the pharma industry rewards him for this behaviour.

Quote: Nogget @ December 28 2012, 8:33 PM GMT

When my youngest girl was ill, I couldn't get an appointment too, despite ringing up when they opened, and using ringback. So I went down there in person and they were initially quite dismissive, saying they "had a system"

At my surgery it was impossible to get through on the phone, so anyone who was sufficiently able-bodied went down there in person; meaning that by the time you did get through on the phone all the appointments had gone. They now no longer allow you to book in person, so you have no choice to phone. In fairness there is now have a super efficient answering system - so efficient in fact that the lines open at 8.00, and all the appointments have gone by 8.05.

The problem is although the systems are efficient they do not take into account people's everyday life. Not everyone can be waiting on the phone at the dot on eight. If one of my kids are ill I still have to get the others to school. The elderly if unwell cannot be expected to get up at eight in the off chance they might get an appointment. Their is no give or take in these systems, no taking into account real need and circumstance. Some of these receptionists really are minor autocrats gone mad, unable it seems to feel compassion or bend a rule if needed. It makes me wonder how many peoples suffering is elongated in the name of their system, or worse. If the illness warranted it you should be able to book ahead, and children and the elderly should be treated as a priority. I can live with an ear infection for a few days, I wouldn't like to think of kids left in a similar way.

Then I think the people in my practice are saints. If you need a really urgent appointment they fit you in. I remember the bad old days before appointments when I once queued for 2 hours - 1 hour standing before I got a seat, feeling really sick with a stomach bug and had to see a doctor to get a line to stay off work.

Quote: keewik @ December 28 2012, 11:13 PM GMT

Then I think the people in my practice are saints. If you need a really urgent appointment they fit you in. I remember the bad old days before appointments when I once queued for 2 hours - 1 hour standing before I got a seat, feeling really sick with a stomach bug and had to see a doctor to get a line to stay off work.

I hate to say it, but all the services in Scotland seem better. Watch out we may all be moving there soon :)

I honestly don't know whether they are in other respects but our family has, unfortunately, had too much to do with health services and I must say we've no complaints. You do meet the odd arsehole but they're few and far between.

Quote: keewik @ December 28 2012, 11:19 PM GMT

I honestly don't know whether they are in other respects but our family has, unfortunately, had too much to do with health services and I must say we've no complaints. You do meet the odd arsehole but they're few and far between.

They seem to be, your social services seem to be there for the the wellbeing of your population, not as an administrative inconvenience, plus you have free university education. You seem to be maintaining a level of social care and wellbeing that we can now only envy. I had a Scottish Grandmother, I may be moving ;)

I have a sneaky worry that maybe the money isn't there for other things, or will run out.
Don't know if I'm alone in this but I do think things got better with Devolution.

Quote: keewik @ December 28 2012, 11:29 PM GMT

I have a sneaky worry that maybe the money isn't there for other things, or will run out.
Don't know if I'm alone in this but I do think things got better with Devolution.

I don't know, it can't be any worse than here. There is no reason for the money not to be there if properly allocated. Alex Salmond strikes me as one of the truly heavyweight politicians of our times, what they used to call a big beast, something we are sadly lacking.

When no one wants to do anything on New Years Eve. Looking like it will be wih some wine and The Graham Norton show or the Edinburgh tatto.

I'm going to stay in and watch zombie/Nazi films.
I'm feeling festive!

Quote: zooo @ December 31 2012, 12:13 AM GMT

I'm feeling festive!

I wouldn't mind staying in- just that I don't have anyone to stay in with.

Quote: zooo @ December 31 2012, 12:13 AM GMT

Dead Snow?