Things that piss you off Page 1,020

Quote: KLRiley @ July 4 2012, 10:08 PM BST

Even Clare Balding

I thought she was a full on rug muncher?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 4 2012, 10:03 PM BST

Laughing out loud

TTPYO: Accidentally reading a message on the Arsenal Facebook page. This is a completely real response to the news that Van Persie will not be renewing his contract.

'D early d beta dis dude is prone 2 injury I tink he should just go b4 he spends d remaining year wit d doctors.gunnaz 4 life'

Christ on a Burst of Berries Tracker Bar, how difficult is it for the retards to write an actual sentence? It looks like more work to write it all 'street' and 'ghetto'.

I bet gunnaz 4 life is a pasty white Uni student from Surrey that listens to too much Dizzy Rascal and once had a marijuana cigarette. Bah!

*Dizzee.
I agree with that sentiment.
We wouldn't be able to take the piss if he (I am judgementally presuming it's a he) wasn't writing in a form that's recognisable.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 4 2012, 10:21 PM BST

I think she interferes with horses too

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 4 2012, 10:03 PM BST

TTPYO: Accidentally reading a message on the Arsenal Facebook page. This is a completely real response to the news that Van Persie will not be renewing his contract.

'D early d beta dis dude is prone 2 injury I tink he should just go b4 he spends d remaining year wit d doctors.gunnaz 4 life'

Sick
And that's why we don't allow text speak.

Quote: zooo @ July 4 2012, 11:50 PM BST

Sick

Thnk fk 4 dat.

Lol n1 m8y

Stop ittttttttttt!

Quote: zooo @ July 4 2012, 11:50 PM BST

Sick

I concur entirely for this site, but...

TTPYO I understand it, and I also experience it, and am pissed off by it, but: the looking down noses at 'those people' who don't write or speak in the same way that one is used to.

English is the bestest language, it is so incredibly amazing that it has so many parts and so many influences and that it changes from day to day, and what makes the language (and if I may say so, the country) something worth being proud of, is that it is so flexible, that any human being who knows the basics can make it their own.
It is democratic, and creative, and although I am well aware that I am one of the older people who shouldn't have any idea what the yoots are saying; good! Let the young people play around with language whether it be spelling or pronunciation or accent- if there is anyone on this forum who didn't make up words and songs and in-jokes with their mates when they were a youngan, then shame on you. And frankly, even more shame on you if you don't do it now, now that you are a confident adult with a grasp of language and culture and mates that you can play around with.
Whenever I see a word I don't know the meaning of, be it Chaucerian or slang, do you know what I do? I look it up. It's a terrible trial, what with us having the internet and all, and in some cases, lovely-smelling dictionaries, but I persevere because I like words. I like people. I like how different people interact. And most of all, I like that children, young people, and adults a lot younger than me have their own words. It makes me glad to see humans playing with language, because that is what it is there for. For people. All of the people. To play with.
And language is wonderfully contagious, I'm sure that there is no-one here who hasn't used an abbreviation or an acronym when contributing a post, that would've been non-existent in our quite recent life-times, even if we've only used it in a sarcy, ironic way. That's no different. We have taken a common usage and used it between people who we feel will 'get it' and so that has taken on its own meaning, whether between individuals or on this site or on the internet or in spoken conversation.
People saying or writing anything is a good thing, even if that individual is a f**ktard. But let's judge on the content rather than the form.

I won't bother checking for typos since I don't imagine anyone will read it all, and as we have previously established, I don't rant that often but when I do I am on that rant. But it's all true

:D Yes, live and understand, mind you, RC confuses me? thought He would love to be a 'Rug-muncher'?...

Quote: AJGO @ July 5 2012, 1:01 AM BST

I won't bother checking for typos since I don't imagine anyone will read it all,

Wrong! I always read the just last sentence...

The original Magna Carta was written in a Latin shorthand, effectively a kind of text speak, so your rant has great historical precedent. QED.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 4 2012, 10:21 PM BST

That was the point RC. The sight of those toned muscular male bodies glistening in the sun from their exertions... Stopping now before it goes too 50 shades of dross or RC has his usual reaction.

:D This

I quite agree Ajgo. With the exception of textspeak, which annoys the hell out of me. I have a couple of mates who use it in texts all the time. There are several European languages that I understand better.

The Olympic ticketing rip off. I applied for a pile of stuff in the original ballot over a year a go. Got nothing. Today LOCOG has obviously panicked and released what seems to be the unsold 'package' tickets. And guess what? Every event that I wanted has tickets at the price I was prepared to pay. Too late LOCOG.

Quote: dellas @ July 5 2012, 5:17 AM BST

RC confuses me? thought He would love to be a 'Rug-muncher'?...

It's a bit like McDonalds for me. Every couple of months you get an unstoppable urge for it but you only get it when you're drunk, it never tastes as good as it smells, it's usually cold when you get it home, the special sauce drips on your shirt and after you finish eating it, you feel ill and wish you'd spent the money on something else. Double that for long motorway journeys.

Quote: AJGO @ July 5 2012, 1:01 AM BST

the looking down noses at 'those people' who don't write or speak in the same way that one is used to.

That would be me, I am incredibly snobbish and critical of people who have such a limited vocabularly or such a strong accent that it takes effort from me to actually understand what they are trying to say. I'm not an unpaid translator for the socially and educationally sub-normal.

Text speak, ghetto speak, rap speak, lazy regional accents, the constant use of 'like, you know, you get me, blud, you know what I mean, at the end of the day right', etc. makes my blood boil. Similarly, people who fill each sentence with more swear words then actual words and anyone who replaces the letter T with the letter D at the beginning of words.

Language constantly changes and evolves, but this is usually over several hundred years, not in the space of a decade. I blame the Internet, mobile phones, American cultural imperialism, the poor, the Scots, the Northerners and the immigrants for mangling the great English language.