The Young Ones Page 2

Quote: Moxy Poron @ November 11, 2006, 7:02 PM

although alexei sayle (or however you spell) it is just not funny in my opinion although i know he was quite popular in 80's--well he had is own show!)

I don't think he is that funny in the Young Ones but some of his solo shows were good. He also did a decent but long forgotten sitcom in the 90's called Paris. One for a future thread perhaps?

i've never seen any of his solo stuff, but will have to check it out.

I totally agree re: Alexei Sayle. I just never found him funny. More terminally boring and somewhat annoying!

I liked his aggressive, in your face style, a breath of fresh air at the time. Alexei Sayle's Stuff was packed with ideas and laughs and had so much energy when compared with Little Britain and other current sketch shows that think it is OK to recycle catchphrases.

I used to enjoy Alexei Sayles Stuff, although it's been a long time since I've seen it. God moving in mysterious ways springs to mind. And can anyone remember the start of one his series where he's a mexican bandido or something punishing those 3 men by getting them to do music reviews?

I loved Alexei Sayle's Stuff but never got the rest of his act. Bobby Chariot's stand-up act was priceless. Linehan and Matthews wrote a fair bit of it didn'ty they?

Right I didn't realise they wrote that. You learn something new everyday.

Bobby Chariot was funny - "I'm on pills for me nerves"

Incidently I found out something else I didn't know yesterday. After reading these posts, i went on to wiki and had a look at the Young Ones. Peter Richardson, of the Comic Strip Presents.... was originally supposed to play the part of Mike, but fell out with the director or producer or someone. I wonder how different (or funnier) the Mike character might have been if played by Richardson.

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ November 14, 2006, 8:40 AM

I wonder how different (or funnier) the Mike character might have been if played by Richardson.

alot funnier i'd guess.

i bet richardson was a bit miffed that the young ones became the hit it was and he left because of the fall-out.

:D

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ November 14, 2006, 8:40 AM

I wonder how different (or funnier) the Mike character might have been if played by Richardson.

Not sure it would have made any difference.

Mike was always a strange one to call. At school there were kids who thought that he was the cool one, while others (like me) found him really dull. Even now, I see him as the weak link.

But then, it may not have worked as well without a straight man. Somebody in the Young Ones house had to have a bit of sanity about them.

Never believe anything you read in a web forum. I meant Renwick and Marshall, obviously.

I thought they must have been young.

IT'S STILL BRIILIANT

I think The Young Ones is a fantastic show. I would agree that parts of it are dated, they have to be because some of the content was in reference to the the late 70s and early 80s. But the comedy and interaction of the characters are, in my opinion timeless.

One of the great things I love about the show is how the humour is built on many levels. You have your obvious jokes, slapstick & asides, then you have the more subtle jokes that require you to pay attention to what is being said or shown. With these they do not attempt to shove the punchline in your face but instead leave it for you to work out.

And Alexi Sayle - I am one of those people who clicks with his style of houmour. I realise that he isn't for everyone but all his stints on TYO make me laugh.

Def.

If Peter Richardson had played Mike as intended the show would never have dated.

It still makes me laugh. But I know what you're talking about. It hasn't dated so much as it has become out of context. That an much shock value was superceeded by the slaughtering of milkmen in FR&C and and the many misadventures of Bottom.

But it's comedy royalty now. We wouldn't have shows like the Mighty Boosh without it.

It is the Iron Maiden of Sitcoms. Pure awsome but loved only by old dudes and few cool kids.

I'm one of the old dudes.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ January 31, 2008, 3:15 AM

It is the Iron Maiden of Sitcoms. Pure awsome but loved only by old dudes and few cool kids.

I resent that! You calling me old dude?!
OK, I turned 36 yesterday.

I don't like the show much either. I saw it for the first time back in 1995 (and it had Motorhead guesting, wow!) I tried to watch few months ago, but gave up after a couple of episodes. Just could not get into it.
I'll go with "good, but very much of its time".