The Young Ones Page 9

Yes I'm sure that was the point.

It's just IMO the way they did it just smacks of , oh how hilarious! The nasty racist pig thinks it's a black man! And he's being outrageously offensive to him and calling him a nigger! Haha!

Maybe it's just me, it's just it seems to be making light of the issue far too much and it's unpleasant to watch.

So I don't watch it!

That's all. :)

I loved the little hamsters, rats, mice, whatever they were who'd pop up for a cameo. They often stole the show. I haven't watched for a long while, but it's right up there, for me, very funny, very original. And as you mentioned earlier, the bands they had on were fantastic, The Damned, Motorhead, The Jam, Madness. Stunning! (I think The Jam were on)

I find it very hard to decide if this is better than Bottom or not. I will have to watch it again soon. From distant memory I really liked the cricket one and the one where Neil's lentils boiled over. Laughing out loud Yeah, I think I'd have to say TYO was the better of the two now. Very close call though.

The Jam were not on the show (I think you mean Nine Below Zero, a similar looking 3 piece new-wavey type band)

Ps you forgot Dexys Midnight Runners - I love Dexys!

I quite liked that Nine Below Zero band.

*engages pointless pedantic mode*

Quote: lofthouse @ June 17 2011, 12:03 PM BST

POLICEMAN: Oh, sorry, John. I thought you was a nigger!
Carry on!

That is perhaps how it was scripted.

However, the actors interpreation was closer to 'nigga'.

POLICE OFFICER: Oh, sorry, John. *pauses* I thought you woz a nigga. *pauses*
Carry on.

The police officer did not call him a nigga, he thought he was a nigga.

He calls him;

Mr Sambo Darkie Coon, and Mr Rastus Darkie Chocolate Drop.
As well as John [see your quotation], once he realises he is addressing a caucasian.

*sighs*

... A young Neneh Cherry too (in 'Interesting'). And I think The Young Ones is light years ahead of the middle-aged comedy-by-numbers of Bottom.
Ok this is sad but I can't resist, my ranking (tee hee):
Summer Holiday (even Mike makes me laugh in that one: 'I'm never going back, you hear me?' - 'What?' - 'I said I'm never going back'.)
Sick (consistently hilarious)
Bomb ('Ah the old game eh? Eat the telly before I get a chance to nick yer' - 'It's a toaster')
Cash (classic)
Bambi (anyone not on it?)
Oil (El Presidente)
Interesting (tampons)
Time (Jennifer Saunders, phwoar... Actually this episode was repeated as a one-off before everyone had vids and I rember feeling a little disappointed)
Nasty (a change of style, prefer the typical one meself)
Boring (would be higher but for afore-mentioned nosebleed, yuk, too real to work as slapstick)
Flood (slower)
Demolition (rocked back then but as the first ep/pilot seems pretty tame now, especially in view of the final ones)

Quote: Ben @ June 17 2011, 7:13 PM BST

I quite liked that Nine Below Zero band.

They're still gigging. Saw them a couple of times in the last 5 years.

And I loved the Damned.

Bottom is better but this is still ace.

Interesting reading these comments.

I have just introduced my 10 year old daughter to it, and she is loving it. A lot of the topical references go over her head and she qets a bit confused at times (as they did I when I first saw it as a child), but for a shear visual energy it still very much hits the mark. The dirty sheets, eating a rat, disgusting fridge, dirty bath water, run away socks, exploding front doors, I could go on and on, is still quite shocking.
Sure some episodes were better than others, but all episodes have very funny and memorable pieces in them.

Weather you love it or hate it, it will surely go down in history as a very infulential, ground breaking sitcom that pushed the bounderies of television comedy and entertainment.

I love it, and am really enjoying seeing my daughter's reaction to it.

I love all of the episodes of The Young Ones. Just pure funny and another brilliant sitcom from the 80s.

This is my new obsession. I wasn't around when it first aired and only saw it for first time about four/five years ago, liked it well enough. It's been repeated again in the last few weeks and have really enjoyed it this time, so much that I went and bought the DVD. I don't get some of the references but still a lot of things to laugh at.
Never really feel like Mike fits in with the others, not sure why.

I know what you mean, although considering Christopher Ryan wasn't the original choice for the part, he did a pretty good job considering he had to fit in with the others who had know each other for ages.

I think it's a show that grows on you and you notice something new each time you see it - to take it all in is really hard (oo er sound a bit rude!).
I watched it almost daily in my teenage years, and laughed at different parts each time I saw it.

I met Christopher Ryan. He was a true gent to talk to.

He seems like a nice bloke. How did you meet him?
In 1991 I was lucky enough to meet Rik Mayall before seeing him, Ade and Christopher in 'Waiting for Godot'.
They all worked really well together in that.

Quote: teenage comedy freak @ 8th July 2014, 10:21 PM BST

He seems like a nice bloke. How did you meet him?
In 1991 I was lucky enough to meet Rik Mayall before seeing him, Ade and Christopher in 'Waiting for Godot'.
They all worked really well together in that.

I met him at the NEC Birmingham. :)