The Young Ones Page 8

I also rate Bambi as one of the best sitcom episodes ever, but oddly I can think of only a couple of other Young Ones episodes I would ever want to watch again. All the other sitcom episodes I love are from series where I would happily watch pretty much any episode. So Ace of Spades is an appropriate song for the Bambi episode as I love that but don't like any other Motorhead track...

I think 'Nasty' is easily the best.

YES WE'VE GOT A VIDEO

It's got The Damned AND a Python in it FFS.

Saw an episode recently and laughed as much as I did the first time around. Quality show.

The bit I hate most is when the policeman in the dark glasses goes up to a white fella and starts calling him a nigger. It's just weird and creepy and not remotely funny. I always skip past that bit.

Some bits here and there haven't aged well.

The bit I skip is from the same episode but it's the Hell scene where the demon busts the guy's nose - 'Bloody hell' - it's far too realistic and detailed to be funny.
The rest of it I love!!! Fave eps: Bomb and the last two.

I got the DVD boxset the other week from Sainsburys for £10. Only watched a few episodes so far, but enjoying it.

I hadn't previously seen much of the first series and do feel it's a bit too anarchic for its own good, but still plenty of laughs.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 27 2011, 11:54 PM BST

The bit I hate most is when the policeman in the dark glasses goes up to a white fella and starts calling him a nigger. It's just weird and creepy and not remotely funny. I always skip past that bit.

That's because you're a cracker.
*pauses*
Actually it was sambo. And you have to understand the time in which it was made. Racism and police racism was suitable comic material.
See the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch for further further reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

... Just what I was about to post.

I love the episode where Neil joins the police.

Quote: sootyj @ June 17 2011, 8:41 AM BST

I love the episode where Neil joins the police.

That's my 4th favoutite.

Quote: Brian Brane @ June 16 2011, 7:17 PM BST

That's because you're a cracker.
*pauses*
Actually it was sambo. And you have to understand the time in which it was made. Racism and police racism was suitable comic material.
See the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch for further further reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

[Man takes off his glove to retrieve a business card. Upon taking
off his glove, the policeman quickly takes off his sunglasses and
grabs the man's hand and stares it. After a while he looks
at man nervously]

POLICEMAN: Oh, sorry, John. I thought you was a nigger!
Carry on! [quickly runs away. Futumch appears at the door]

Whistling nnocently

That's a very good gag and shockingly accurate for attitudes of the time.

Quote: lofthouse @ June 17 2011, 12:03 PM BST

(Man takes off his glove to retrieve a business card. Upon taking
off his glove, the policeman quickly takes off his sunglasses and
grabs the man's hand and stares it. After a while he looks
at man nervously)

POLICEMAN: Oh, sorry, John. I thought you was a nigger!
Carry on! (quickly runs away. Futumch appears at the door)

Whistling nnocently

Lofty, if it upsets you why do you delight in repeating it so much? And anyway, as I am sure you're well aware, it is satirising the actions of the Police, insodoing, affirming their own complete adversion to the use of such words and the practice of racial harassment.

I repeated it once

and that was because someone said I'd got it wrong and that word wasn't used

hardly much delight in that!

And when I watch that scene it seems less about making a point about racism and more about how funny it is that he used the N word.

That lot were as PC as they come, there is no way they used it for the enjoyment of saying it or hearing it or whatever. It was surely a joke about fascist police, much in the NTNONews vein, no?