Writers New Year Resolutions 2010 Page 4

Ha I'll stock severed monkey heads at 1.25% discount! Take that!
Griff0 Sootyj1

hah. OK, reworded...

It seems to be harder these days to get a prodco interested in a sitcom with the same structure/heightened reality/big laughs, etc as the likes of Only Fools And Horses, One Foot In The Grave, Men Behaving Badly, etc, as they seem to be more interested in being in with the "realism/edgy/adult" crowd.

Surely I can't be the only one here who misses the "must-watch" sitcoms of the Fools Horses and Foot In Grave league.

My New Year's Resolution is to help revive the genre.

No, but you are the only one who has missed this being mention lots of times before. I think there was an overkill with narrative comedy, but at the end of the day, there is room for both.

Ah. Didn't realise it had been discussed to death.

*** scurries away unnoticed. **** :)

Well, it's been discussed to the death.

Narrative comedy has been around for years, I think it was just brought to attention by The Office. When a n. comedy is good, you hardly notice. When it's bad, it really sticks out, and the lack of audience laughter only adds to its appearance as a humourless half hour.

I'm with you though, personally I'd like to see more things like the IT Crowd appear, and less Phone Shop. But like I mentioned in the first post, there's room for both and it'd be a shame to miss a gem, based purely on whether it was filmed in front of an audience or not.

Quote: Henrik Bengtsson @ January 3 2010, 9:08 AM GMT

Wow! You don't f**k about, do you? That's like the mother of bad habits. Good luck Dolly.

Thanks. :) I've done it before for 13 years, so should be fairly easy. It's more of a habit than an addiction.

Quote: Marc P @ January 3 2010, 9:29 AM GMT

Buy a pipe and then you don't have to light it but still look writerly. And a cardigan. Mine is bottle green cashmere and I was given it by a woman who designs clothing for golfers.

I will also surely need a beard too, though?

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 5 2010, 8:58 PM GMT

OK, fair enough, guys n gals.

But what I mean is... a lot of prodcos only seem to want what's "in vogue."
And aparently that's real type stuff.

I find the opposite is true; eveeryone seems to be looking for a mainstream studio show.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 6 2010, 12:46 PM GMT

I will also surely need a beard too, though?

Nah, I don't have a beard. :)

Quote: Marc P @ January 6 2010, 12:51 PM GMT

Nah, I don't have a beard. :)

I'd better go have a shave then.

I started my writing New Years Resolution early, submitted scripts to The Sitcom Mission, all of them without using a single 'F-bomb' in the dialogue.

It wasn't easy, I likes to be a Sweary Mary with my writing, but decided instead to rely on wit and intelligence instead of shock value profanity.

That's me f**ked. :(

I think I had one.

Quote: Leevil @ January 1 2010, 8:49 PM GMT

This calls for a National Pie Day! :)

Loo-pie
:)

:D

I am already doing well with my write less resolution - its the second part that is proving harder.

Is anyone else finding it difficult to get back into the discipline writing after the festive break?

I've been thinking carefully about my New Year's resolutions for quite some time now & have come to the conclusion that the best thing to do would be to compile a small but potent selection of cast-iron non-sequiteurs for use in informal social situations and on Internet forums.