Best Christmas specials Page 2

The two Steptoes and the League of Gentlemen one.

I know The Thick Of It Specials were broadcast at Christmas, but were they set then too? If so, they were pretty excellent.

The Terry and June Christmas shows are very good in my opinion

Many of those mentioned already I likee lots but for me it has to be:

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads

Quote: Blenkinsop @ December 24 2009, 11:10 AM GMT

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads

Is that a statement or a comment on their show?

EDIT: Oh, it was the latter.

[Note to self: read a post properly before replying]

League of Gents.
And the Office ones were jolly good too. But not all that Christmassy.

Quote: zooo @ December 24 2009, 12:15 PM GMT

League of Gents.
And the Office ones were jolly good too. But not all that Christmassy.

Christmas specials that lean too heavily on the Christmas theme are usually terrible though. Mentioning no names... Vicar Of Dibley, Gavin And Stacey... Whistling nnocently

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 24 2009, 12:18 PM GMT

Christmas specials that lean too heavily on the Christmas theme are usually terrible though. Mentioning no names... Vicar Of Dibley,

Wrong.

Morecambe & Wise specials for me.

Knowing Me, Knowing Yule is free on iTunes today.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 21 2009, 3:13 PM GMT

A Christmassy Ted of the Father Ted.

Is this the one where they get lost in the lingerie department? If so, it gets my vote.

I used to love the 2point4 Children Christmas specials, mainly Porkys when Ben brings home a live pig and they end up giving it all their food and trying to get rid of it before it gives birth to piglets despite never going near another pig.

That and the one where they get stuck on a cruise ship.

The Fast Show and The Office come to mind instantly.

And even though I never watched Vicar of Dibley religiously I remember the special was pretty delightful.

Quote: sanniberry @ December 28 2009, 11:19 PM GMT

And even though I never watched Vicar of Dibley religiously

Boom! Boom!

:P

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 24 2009, 12:18 PM GMT

Christmas specials that lean too heavily on the Christmas theme are usually terrible though. Mentioning no names... Vicar Of Dibley, Gavin And Stacey... Whistling nnocently

I think it depends on the style of show. The Royle Family by being about the minutea of the lives of a working class family was perfect for episodes set at Christmas and IMO the first two Christmas specials (broadcast in 99 and 00) were pretty amazing.

Just to update this thread, the Not Going Out Christmas special 2009 has to rate as one of the finest ever Christmas specials, doesn't it?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 27 2009, 12:20 PM GMT

Is this the one where they get lost in the lingerie department? If so, it gets my vote.

It is indeed. (Says late replying Lucas.)