Newsjack - Series 2 Page 20

Quote: chipolata @ January 15 2010, 10:07 AM GMT

Yes, I'd be interested in the breakdown of commissioned stuff to non-commissioned stuff.

I am sure Dale is not commissioned for the series, so 3D radio is one for the non-coms. (I have notlistened to the show yet, so I am looking forward to that one.)

I did force myself to write something this week, but frankly my contributions were gash. It almost came as a relief when I didn't get the e-mail.

Quote: Timbo @ January 15 2010, 10:21 AM GMT

I am sure Dale is not commissioned for the series, so 3D radio is one for the non-coms. (I have notlistened to the show yet, so I am looking forward to that one.)

it *was* funny, but I can't imagine it looked like much on the page. The humour was all in the way it was done. Maybe he wrote things like PERFORM THIS HILARIOUSLY, in 12 point Ariel.

I really liked the Google sketch and the exam in the blizzard quickie. Mine was the vox pop about whether Iris Robinson was getting into an untenable position.

Ooh - Ben Davids got something in! Smashing.

Quote: Nogget @ January 15 2010, 10:34 AM GMT

it *was* funny, but I can't imagine it looked like much on the page. The humour was all in the way it was done. Maybe he wrote things like PERFORM THIS HILARIOUSLY, in 12 point Ariel.

The idea is a big part of the writing. And it obviously looked good enough on the said for them to use it. It used the medium very well I thought.

The idea is a big part of the writing. And it obviously looked good enough on the page for them to use it. It used the medium very well I thought.

About the comm to non-comm ratio, I think I heard it was 10% commissioned writers.

Even for experienced writers, Newsjack is pretty much the only game in town at the moment. 90% of the writers won't have been commissioned, but within that batch you'll run the spectrum from people who've never written anything before to people who've worked as topical comedy writers for years.

Having listened to it last night and read these threads over the last few days, I think it's a genuine effort on their behalf to give non-commissioned writers a chance. They will at times spot and look out for particular writers and names that they recognise because that's just how things happen, but if you can get their attention, then there's a good chance that they'll pick your sketch.

I wasn't really won over by the show itself and I got that feeling that in some kind of parallel existence, a different production team could have done a better job in picking from the hundreds of sketches that were imaginably sent in, but what troubled me more was that they didn't list the writers at the end of the show.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I think they just gave some website out. Surely that's half the fun when as a writer - you get your sketch in the show, then you hear your name read out at the end?

Quote: Splodge @ January 15 2010, 11:31 AM GMT

what troubled me more was that they didn't list the writers at the end of the show.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I think they just gave some website out. Surely that's half the fun when as a writer - you get your sketch in the show, then you hear your name read out at the end?

It would take about 30 seconds to list all the names, which would leave less room for sketches and one-liners.

Part of learning curve is the realisation that lines that read funny on the page are less important than providing material that enables performers to strut their stuff. Dale knows his onions and I am sure he had a fair idea of how the material would play, as would have Dan when he picked it off the pile.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 15 2010, 11:34 AM GMT

It would take about 30 seconds to list all the names, which would leave less room for sketches and one-liners.

Right, I've just seen how many writers are on that list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pswyl

I knew there were a few writers, but I didn't know it was that many. Even if you attempted to squeeze all of those names in, it would sound like one of those adverts where someone says ATOL protected at the end.

Quote: Timbo @ January 15 2010, 11:50 AM GMT

Part of learning curve is the realisation that lines that read funny on the page are less important than providing material that enables performers to strut their stuff. Dale knows his onions and I am sure he had a fair idea of how the material would play, as would have Dan when he picked it off the pile.

A very good point & one that I am unsuccessfuly trying to take on board.

Quote: Timbo @ January 15 2010, 10:21 AM GMT

I did force myself to write something this week, but frankly my contributions were gash. It almost came as a relief when I didn't get the e-mail.

This I am managing very well.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 15 2010, 11:34 AM GMT

True.

And am I the only person who wishes they'd dump that 'youth news' segment? There's a minute or two of airtime that could surely be put to better use with another sketch or a few more voxpops.

Quote: Jinky @ January 16 2010, 1:14 PM GMT

And am I the only person who wishes they'd dump that 'youth news' segment?

I quite like that bit. There were some quality gags in there in the first series.

Well, in terms of giving non-comms a better chance, Newsbullet affords the opportunity for at least a few one liners. Take that away, and it's even harder to get stuff on.