Rising Damp or The F and R of Reginald Perrin

Which of these two Leonard Rossiter sitcoms do you prefer? I ask because a work friend of mine just recently brought the complete Reginald Perrin box set. He'd never seen the original before, just the Martin Clunes remake, and was incredibly impressed by it (to the point he wrote on my birthday card "I didn't get where I am today by wishing people a happy birthday".

What impressed him the most was what a great actor Leonard Rossiter was. So I lent him Rossiter's other great success, Rising Damp, which for me is better than Reginald Perrin. He watched it, said it was okay, but not a patch on Perrin. I said that was probably because he watched Reggie first, whereas I watched Rising Damp before Reginald Perrin and as a result, I prefer Rising Damp. Which do you prefer?

They're both great in very different ways, with both relying on brilliant Leonard Rossiter performances in order to succeed. For me, 'Fall and Rise' edges it because it was a little bit more than "just" a comedy. But they're both wonderful shows and rather hard to compare. :)

Yes, Perrin was 'edgier' and benefitted greatly from this, but Rising Damp was funnier for me, making it very tight.

At the time (for I was young) I thought that Reggie Perrin was just Rigsby in a suit.
Looking back, Reginald Perrin is definitely on a par.
It's a difficult choice, but I'd still have to go for Rising Damp.
I didn't get where I am today without recognizing an absolute classic.

In terms of pure sitcom, then Rising Damp, yes. (One is allowed to slightly contradict oneself in this thread, surely? Whistling nnocently)

Leonard Rossiter's 'Rigsby' is a character unparallelled in British comedy.

Reggie Perrin, as good as he was, doesn't come close.

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 17 2009, 10:16 PM GMT

...to the point he wrote on my birthday card 'I didn't get where I am today by wishing people a happy birthday'.

Your friend sounds like a funny guy.

In answer to the question - Rising Damp.

I saw Rising Damp first but prefer Fall And Rise.. although I might get Rising Damp next year

I saw Rise and Fall in late 70s, loved it. Perrin is so good his comedy doesn't get dated with time. If Rising Damp is as good then I must rush to get it.
luis

Rising Damp for me. Being from Merseyside, the show always got big laughs in my house when I was growing up. Rigsby was like the Scouse equivalent of Hancock. My mate also used to have a landlord who looked and sounded like a young version of Rigsby.

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 17 2009, 10:20 PM GMT

Yes, Perrin 'edgier' and great

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 17 2009, 10:21 PM GMT

Perrin is definitely on a par.

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 18 2009, 2:03 AM GMT

Perrin is so good

Thanks guys. :)

I think I was a bit young to appreciate FRRP when I first watched it but loved Rising Damp from the start. About time I saw them both again though.

Jane P(errin)

and let's not forget those ads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICmjZXf3lto&feature=related

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ December 17 2009, 10:30 PM GMT

Leonard Rossiter's 'Rigsby' is a character unparallelled in British comedy.

Reggie Perrin, as good as he was, doesn't come close.

I'd have to disagree slightly. Rigsby is a great character but Reggie Perrin, although less 'funny' is one of my favourite comedy creations ever and that is down to David Nobb's writing. He's a very complex character and far less predictable than most although he never seems to act out of character. Clunes played him very differently to Rossiter but he was still definitely Reggie Perrin and I think that shows what a good creation he is.

As for which is my favourite out of Rising Damp and Reggie Perrin? Difficult question. Rising Damp has far better supporting characters and is more traditionally funny as a sitcom. Reggie Perrin borders on comedy-drama and gives Rossiter a better chance to show the range of the character, especially as it has an overall story arc.

So I think for me Reggie Perrin just edges it but only slightly and if you caught me in a different mood, you'd probably get the opposite answer.

My vote goes to Fall and Rise, because of the depth and great characterisations.

Reginald Perrin for me. Although they're both great shows. I enjoyed his Cinzano adverts too.

RD by the longest way possible.