Why are the Yanks funnier than us Brits? Page 6

Quote: ContainsNuts @ June 12, 2007, 5:15 PM

Laughing out loud

Just read the subject of this email! The guy who wrote it is having a laugh that is for sure!

Clearly mistaking volume for quality! Teamwriting v individuals. They should be producing a lot better stuff than they are considering the population and teams of writers they go through.

Our humour is cutting edge and much less censored than the US. I think we have more diversity too, not bad for a small country.

However, I do think Family Guy is one of the funniest things on TV at the mo, although their funniest character is played as a british baby.

It depends on teh team though. Some sitcoms have twelve or thirteen writers, yet they still struggle. I was watching some show the other week which had twenty eight writers and it was awful, mainly because it was unfocussed and jumped around too much.

If you write alone you have to discipline yourself to writing alone. And to do it well and be hard on yourself to turn in a good product. If you are in a team it has to be a team which works; just having a team of writers doesn't create anything. Having a team of good writers who work well together is the key.

If you look at SNL, in it's heyday the script meetings had thirty writers, and they would work around one table. And mostly, it worked, because although there was competition, all of them brought something to the team and the team and tehrefore the prodcut benefitted as a result.

Cheers I think had about twelve writers, and in it's zenith there was no one to touch it, simply because each line was written for each character as a punchline, and they went with the best one.

This is all pretty obvious stuff, but the trend here at least is to have a team of writers who meet up once and then go away and work alone and then come back and what you get is twelve voices. It's a misunderstanding of the system.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ June 12, 2007, 5:15 PM

Clearly mistaking volume for quality! Teamwriting v individuals. They should be producing a lot better stuff than they are considering the population and teams of writers they go through.

Our humour is cutting edge and much less censored than the US. I think we have more diversity too, not bad for a small country.

I completely agree. That's why I'm happy that we seem to be catching on. Right now, we basically have been going through this "steal all our comedies from England phase (examples: The Office, The I.T. Crowd, Happy Hour, ect.). Maybe if we do that enough, we'll learn how to write smarter comedy ourselves. I feel like if Arrested Development would've come out two years later and had been on NBC (the network that has The Office, My Name is Earl, 30 Rock, and Scrubs), it would've lasted, because with these new shows, the intelligence of the American sitcom audience seems to be going up.

It's very exiting actually.

Just to go off topic, I've been re-watching the third season of AD for the first time and knowing the twist to come, it's absolutely amazing to watch all the set-ups and hints they drop.

I bow down to this show and it's greatness.

It's true. Arrested Development IS the funniest/smartest/most complex show ever made.

Quote: Chiaroscuro @ June 12, 2007, 8:05 PM

First and foremost your modesty, I would say.

Fair enough, I prefer someone a little less black and white. :)

Quote: Leevil @ June 12, 2007, 11:59 PM

Just to go off topic,

Thats not good moderating Leevil Laughing out loud

My opinion is that you can't really compare the two types of humour. Americans have more writers because of their population. They have alot of Jewish comedians aswell, for some reason they wanted to leave Europe after 1945, who I think are the funniest. Yes I am racist before you ask. I think we should be thankful that both the USA and Uk share a language, although Americans rarelt use it, and therefore we can watch both. Peace in our time.

Nothing wrong with going off-topic, Adam!

It was a jokey joke, sarcasm is sooooooooo hard to do in writing.

You achieved it Adam 'cos you're such a good writer ;)

I think Yanks are funnier than us because they have those stoooppiidd accents!!!!!1

And their really fat!

And can't spell. ;)

And drive on the wrong side of the road ... and have stoopid unfunny sitcoms.

And their Coke tastes like Pepsi. Ew. :(

And they pronounce coke, soda. Idiots.