Why are the Yanks funnier than us Brits? Page 3

I was watching Keeping up Appearances today and lots of it is very funny purely because of the characters and the situations they're in. Put those same lines into something else and they wouldn't make sense at all.

My impression of US comedy is there's loads of gags - nothing to do with a story as such.

Consequently I'd really rather not bother with Frasier, Sienfeld etc.

Although I'd better look at the Curb link Charley put on cos I'm scared of her.

Not even Frasier?!!

Cheers yes - but no - not Frasier.

Well at least you're saying Cheers, I'll let it go.

As opposed, say, to Catherine Tate, established shows across the pond rely on sharp comedy. So, where Tate's Nan will get a huge studio explosion of laughter by saying "What a load of old shit", the American's, by and large, will get theirs by with well rounded and funny characters.

OK, so we're all really offended by the 'N' word but as far as I'm concerned, I'm as much offended by the 'F' word, the 'S' word and the 'C' word, and we're not talking Sesame Street here.

Quote: Charlie Adams @ April 18, 2007, 10:02 AM

This is a hobby-horse of mine; I've said it before and I'll say it again - on US shows you don't go home until it's funny.

They can't, the sponsor won't let them.

There's a lot of comedies on ABC. This morning for instance, I watched Rodney and 8 Simple Rules. Both very amusing, but I didn't laugh much. But they were enjoyable. Frasier is the only American sitcom which I can laugh out loud loads of time in an episode (and I'm talking Seasons 1-6 here). Cheers was a bit silly, I think. Especially in Woody, who was just a rip off of Coach. But I think American sitcoms are aimed at Americans - we can't be expected to like it because they will relate to it more. And they tend to be more silly than British sitcoms. Frasier is just brilliant, though. I've loved it since I was nine. Frasier and Niles have to be one of the best double acts ever! To me, they're the American equivelent of Del and Rodney - only richer!

But equally plonkerish.

Frasier and Scrubs are excellent. The two American sitcoms i love most. Scrubs would probably be in my top 5 favourite sitcoms of all time. Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends and My Name Is Earl all have their moments to. In saying that, Britain hasn't been that frequent in producing good sitcoms. Not Going Out and Green Wing may be the only two, while sitcoms like The IT Crowd and Roman's Empire generally have the audience split, probably because they are borderline good. Classic British sitcoms are masterpieces, Father Ted, Fawlty Towers, Porridge, you name it, it is legendary. What i am trying to say by rambling on is that Britain has lost his way recently with sitcoms, the BBC aren't as risky as they used to be with the comedy department, and the real genius writers haven't found a foundation yet. Meanwhile across the pond, the way comedy is written, the standard is very much the same now as it was years ago. That is the difference.

And obviously, we Brits are more creative. Look at all the ideas the Yanks are using of ours, The Office, Steptoe and Son, The IT Crowd, even Little Britain have all been dragged off for an American version.

British comedy is just going through a transition at the moment, as is all British TV with reality tv slowly fading out it needs to find the next thing. It'll soon filter out into something good.

In 2000-2001 there was a lot of good comedy knocking about, Spaced, The Office, The Royale Family, Alan Partridge, Brasseye, Smack the Pony and many more.

It's just finding it's feet with the next lot of talent.

I thought we were the next lot of talent! :)

Quote: Leevil @ June 11, 2007, 1:25 PM

In 2000-2001 there was a lot of good comedy knocking about, Spaced, The Office, The Royale Family, Alan Partridge, Brasseye, Smack the Pony and many more.

It's just finding it's feet with the next lot of talent.

2000-2001 was long time ago and the way the system works, and with a few notable exceptions, I guess we're all going to have a long wait because the system will never change. That is just the way things are.

But from them examples the actors and comedians went off and did many other great things over the years, up until now, when we will find the next base of British talent.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 11, 2007, 12:38 AM

My impression of US comedy is there's loads of gags - nothing to do with a story as such.

Consequently I'd really rather not bother with Frasier, Sienfeld etc.

Well that right there is ridiculous. To say "nothing to do with story" and then use Seinfeld as an example shows your complete ignorance to Seinfeld which is the top story sitcom, the show thrives on its plots, its not a gag-led sitcom it is very much run by its intricate plots and storytelling which makes it brilliant.

Also a list of US shows from the last few years that have been brilliant and/or good. Arrested Development, The Office US, The Sarah Silverman Programme, Reno 911!, My Name Is Earl, Scrubs, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, New Adventures Of Old Christine and there's probably more I can't think of right now.

Quote: Leevil @ June 11, 2007, 1:25 PM

British comedy is just going through a transition at the moment, as is all British TV with reality tv slowly fading out it needs to find the next thing. It'll soon filter out into something good.

Really? If that's the case, I'm glad! Reality TV is rubbish!