Gary: Tank Commander

Just catching up with this on the BBC iPlayer and really enjoying it.

Some fantastically funny lines and characterisations, as well as some surprisingly satirical observations that have been slipped into an otherwise fairly gentle comedy.

Has this slipped unnoticed under the radar? Anyone else watching it?

Must remember to watch this. >_< I know it's on iPlayer, but of course otherwise it's only on in Scotland.

I believe the character originally comes from The Incredible Will & Greg sketches (on YouTube and a pilot on 4OD)? From what I've already seen, it should be good. :)

Will & Greg I hear possibly have a radio sketch show in the pipeline as well?

I've seen a clip of this character a couple of years ago and liked it.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 3 2009, 12:17 PM GMT

Must remember to watch this. >_< I know it's on iPlayer, but of course otherwise it's only on in Scotland.

I could quite easily see it picking up a decent audience if it was put on BBC Two nationwide.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 3 2009, 12:29 PM GMT

I could quite easily see it picking up a decent audience if it was put on BBC Two nationwide.

It's not exactly "Haggiscentric" comedy, is it?

As I said above, worth watching the TV sketch show pilot The Incredible Will And Greg on 4OD. Very talented couple of performers. :) Whistling nnocently

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 3 2009, 12:31 PM GMT

It's not exactly "Haggiscentric" comedy, is it?

Not at all, and it addresses the current situation in the modern British military very well, I love Gary's misunderstandings of the political implications of his experiences in Iraq and also the sly digs at commanding officers, government cutbacks etc, etc. Also the messing about by the soldiers and the banter seems very realistic (with the proviso that it's been watered down for a TV audience) from my limited experience.

I'd love to know what people in the army or the other services think of it.

I missed this the first time around. Second series has started on BBC Scotland and the first episode is on iPlayer at the moment.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 6 2011, 11:33 AM GMT

I missed this the first time around. Second series has started on BBC Scotland and the first episode is on iPlayer at the moment.

Dan

Cheers Dan, might've missed this otherwise.

A good start for the new series, looking forward to more.

Quite why this is only on in Scotland is a mystery to me, I reckon they could have a bit of a hit on their hands if it was shown to the whole country.

Yes, I wanted to watch the first series having missed it, then noticed iPlayer let me download the first three (presumably after repeats somewhere) on for BBC's iPlayer Download Manager to delete them a couple of days later without letting me watch them. Nice that trying to use the legitimate ways of watching things means you will miss things. No wonder people get stuff from 'elsewhere'.

Is series 2 easy enough to get into or do I need to have seen series 1? I'm pretty anal about watching stuff in order. It's why I still haven't watched Flight of the Conchords; because I refuse to start watching at episode 2!

Dan

I don't think it's vital to have seen series 1 first, although, of course, you'll take a little while to know the characters and their particular quirks.

Was good to see Mike Wozniak and Will Andrews (both fellow stand ups) in this episode, to add to Miles Jupp who features as the English commanding officer.

Episode 1 of series 2 (and 7 of series 1) and available through Virgin's Catch Up TV at the moment if you have it.

Yes, I do! Cheers lots Nil -- will watch when I get home.

Cheers also Tony. If I knew Miles was in it, I would have made more of an effort!

Dan

I prefer the standup, the show feels a little stagy

Let's get it shown on national TV. It's terrible that comedy is witheld from most just because it isn't London-centric:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campaign-to-get-Gary-Tank-Commander-shown-on-national-TV/162624287117966

I started watching this as a result of this thread, and I'm really enjoying it. The second episode of this series has been my favourite thus far. It feels quite old fashioned, but it has some fantastic lines, and I love the YouTube bits.