The Two Ronnies vs Morecambe & Wise Page 2

Quote: zooo @ November 27 2009, 10:37 PM GMT

Don't know where he puts it!

Unusually for a mammal, the Corbett's stomach is specially adapted to allow partial digestion of his prey, much of which is then regurgitated to feed the much larger female Corbett (or Mrs Corbett as she is know - who incidentally looks slightly like Ronnie Barker in drag).

Both equally for me but M&W were together for some time before the big break whereas TTR were somewhat 'manufactured'.

M&W = The Rolling Stones

TTR = Boyzone

Some very good points on all sides. Really really difficult to call. But ... yeah, I think I'd agree that there was just a bit more natural spark and magic to Eric n Ern.

Quote: don rushmore @ November 27 2009, 4:03 PM GMT

The Two Ronnies, for me.

Eric Morecambe just stole Vic Reeves' act.

Ah I'm glad someone else has noticed that. Reeves has long sinced fancied himself as an Eric Morecambe clone. Shame he isn't as funny.
Morecambe was brilliant but I always thought he could do better on his own.
He should have followed Barker's lead and branched into sitcoms. As a double act it's the 2 Rons for me.

Yeah. They have similar glasses.

In the heavyweight clash

Morecambe vs Barker

It's far too close to call, it would be spilt decision after 15 rounds.

But in the re-card flyweight fight

Corbett vs Wise

I think Corbett would have a knock out after the 7th.

So in all the Ronnies have it.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ November 27 2009, 3:25 PM GMT

I'll ditto the above, David. I kind of know why people like M & W, in theory, but they don't really do much for me. I enjoyed their breakfast/stripper routine when I was a kid, but that's about it.

Their most famous sketch probably and they nicked it off Benny Hill, they just embellished it a bit.

Morcombe and Wise were simply the funniest double act ever to have existed, however, apart from Porridge, Barker and Corbett, both collectively and as individuals, created some of the greatest comedy ever to grace our screens.

Morecambe. NOT Morcombe. NOT Morcambe. MORECAMBE. Angry

You people are asking for beatings.

I spelt it right so I won't be getting beatings!

I mean ok I DID Google it to be sure before I did the thread :D

What about Cannon and Ball and Mike and Bernie Winters? :P :D

Eric wins my vote, there was something inherently funny about him.

Quote: Marc P @ November 28 2009, 9:20 AM GMT

Yeah. They have similar glasses.

Yes, that about covers it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 28 2009, 8:33 AM GMT

Reeves has long since fancied himself as an Eric Morecambe clone.

To be fair, Reeves has held his hands up to this.

Curiously he now denies that Morecambe was a key influence, but I also seem to recall that that was not always the case. Anyway whatever the case may be, the part of Eric's shtick he missed is the bit that made him funny.