The Two Ronnies vs Morecambe & Wise Page 3

I'm going to have to say Ronnie and Ronnie.I'm not really that into Morecambe amd Wise apart from THE bit they did with the Beatles, although hving said that I do like the police car and 'He won't sell many icecreams going at that speed' line :)

There's only one way to find out!

I don't really think you can compare them.

Thw Two Ronnies were comedy actors in their own right whereas Morecambe and Wise were a real double act who never (I don't think) performed individually.

I think I prefer M & W but it's close.

Individually I think The Two Ronnies did some exceptional work. I even liked Sorry. But as a double act I don't believe there will be a better duo than Morcambe and Wise in my life time. It's the fact that they had moments which were obviously not rehearsed and just played it for all it's worth. Pete and Dud had similar moments in there shows. The Two Ronnies were not a real double act. They were cobbled together after appearing on various shows at the same time.

As a double act, it has to be M&W for me: the cultural impact, the music hall legacy and Morecambe's comic persona are difficult to beat. However, Barker is the better comic actor (as opposed to being a better comic, like Morecambe). Barker is in the same league as Peter Sellers - each able to play radically different characters in a way that they inhabited the roles completely.

Two Ronnies all the way for me. Morecambe and Wise didn't do much for me, yet I do rank their Breakfast Sketch as the best sketch of all time.

I watched a few episodes of the Morecambe and Wise show the other day and it was kinda painful. Sort of end of the pier show and felt very dated.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 20 2010, 6:54 PM GMT

Two Ronnies all the way for me. Morecambe and Wise didn't do much for me, yet I do rank their Breakfast Sketch as the best sketch of all time.

As me and 'er indoors haven't really spoken for two years, you can see that re-enacted most days in our house.

:(

I preferred The Ronnies.

Answering with the nostalgia filter on, I think the two Ronnies were actually the funnier pair. Both the Rons were funny in their own right. Whereas M&W were funny together, Ernie just wasn't funny on his own.

Saw some of The Two Ronnies on GOLD and thought it had dated quite badly. The sketches based around class and British social stereotypes of the 1970s were a bit laboured and forced. The depiction of working class characters was generally patronising and out of touch. On the other hand, Morecambe and Wise have a wonderful surreal quality to their work. The use of the "infinity stage" (in essence a white void) gives a wonderful timelessness to their work. At times, it's very Beckett-like. Although this is hardly surprising given that both Morecambe and Wise and Beckett were influenced by the surreal comedy of Laurel and Hardy. The Two Ronnies is just much more conventional and, as a result, it is rather stuck in the conventions of that time. The endless singing in drag numbers are just so terribly painful to watch. No contest, M&W - timeless comedy in their infinity stage...

The Two Ronnies for me.

I'll have to throw my hat in for the Ronnies. I never really got M&W back in the 70s, whereas I avidly waited for each Two Ronnies on Saturday night. Of course they produced a lot of second rate material, especially towards the end, but like all comedians, they must be judged on their best work. The Four Candles sketch is still probably the best thing I've seen on British TV and they produced quite a few routines not far short of that standard. Both Corbett and Barker were very fine comedy actors (with Barker also being an accomplished writer) while I always thought Wise was rather surplus to requirements in M&W. I can remember feeling embarassed for him, even as a kid. Take the famous Andre Preview sketch, Wise may as well not be there. He actually just gets in the way.

Two Ronnies for me as well.

Ronnies Ronnies Ronnies!

I like both of them, Two Ronnies from the start, and I grew into Morecambe and Wise. I didn't take to them at the start, can't remember if they started on ITV. I do remember the crack of them dying on the TV. But they grew on me later on.