Greatest comedy writer Page 4

I think John Sullivan is tops...(but the actors helped) Huh? Huh?

Aitch,

someone mentioned barry cryer in this thread and i would like to say that i agree, a genuinly good writer, reading one of his books i was impressed by the respect he has for people with comic talent and the fact he genuinly understands the pro's and cons of the comedy buisness i still think Ronnie barker, john sullivan and craig cash are the greatest though.

Right without a doubt

John Cleese/Connie Booth
John Sullivan
A few wrote Father Ted so a big Wow to you all. From Series 1 up til the end.(That cow is near, that one is far away) hahahahahaha.
Gervais & Merchant
Eric Chappels (Rising Damp)...Prob one of the first brilliant recognised sitcoms ever)

I think Michael Palin has been badly overlooked as being right up there with the best.

Quote: lewisroberts @ January 20, 2007, 10:07 PM

i still think Ronnie barker, john sullivan and craig cash are the greatest though.

Your a good man Lewis, a good man, with clearly a great taste in comedy

Keep it up

Quote: Baumski @ January 21, 2007, 9:32 AM

I think Michael Palin has been badly overlooked as being right up there with the best.

Too right, Python and Ripping Yarns are both great! And I was shocked to discover how many of the iconic Python sketches came from his pen!

When it comes to comedy, your Brits have it all over the Americans here, If they can't use filth, naked women, gay bashing, or something really stupid, people do not watch it and it gets canned. I am beginning to think the mentality here is going to the dogs. Maybe to the bush or shrub!!!!

I must admit when it comes to american comedy it can be great for instance the writers of family guy/ scrubs must have been found in the woods, cause I love there humour which sometimes has a weird twist to it.

Has no one mentioned Spike Milligan? He created modern comedy and the Pythons nicked his ideas.

Quote: ajp29 @ February 18, 2007, 12:03 PM

Has no one mentioned Spike Milligan? He created modern comedy and the Pythons nicked his ideas.

That's an intersting take and one that I've never come across before. Obviously you are wise in the ways of comedy and I yield to your superior understanding.

Barry Cryer. He is the Godfather. And he is still doing it. Woody Allen as a writer I think is hard to beat. His "Moose" routine is one of the best. If it's purely about sitcom wtiters then you have already said it all.

Also echoing AJP. Spike did Python before Python but I still love them.

Whoever wrote, My Hero.

The irony here is this must make ME the greatest, because choosing whoever wrote My Hero is without a doubt, bloody hilarious.

I personally couldn't name the greatest, because it depends of what type of mood I'm in, different styles will appeal to me at different times, (of the day and in my life).

I think it USED to be John Sullivan. But not any more, obviously.

What about the Green Wing writers. If I'd missed them sorry. Plus Paul Whitehouse and his lot.

Quote: ajp29 @ February 18, 2007, 12:03 PM

Agreed - Milligan (and the Goons) influence can be seen in much of the Python's material. He was a genius.