Your favourite Royle Family moment Page 4

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 6 2009, 3:58 AM GMT

Brilliant lines, like when Denise's waters break and Jim says tenderly "Are you sure it wasn't just a great big piss love?"

Nobody in the world would ever say anything like that, ever.

I like the show, tho'. Ricky Tomlinson - when he doesn't have stupid lines like the above to deal with - can do no wrong.

Quote: the science eel @ November 18 2009, 2:34 PM GMT

Nobody in the world would ever say anything like that, ever.

I like the show, tho'. Ricky Tomlinson - when he doesn't have stupid lines like the above to deal with - can do no wrong.

I can 'hear' someone saying that in real life. Totally.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 18 2009, 2:58 PM GMT

I can 'hear' someone saying that in real life. Totally.

I wouldn't mind if the show didn't present itself as a kind of natural, observational thing, a reflection on real life with a tiny bit of comic licence. You get silly lines in other shows and they don't offend your ears so much as the pretext is so obviously preposterous anyway.

I've never met anyone daft enough to think that their daughter was having an enormous piss when in fact she was about to give birth. I doubt such people exist.

The end. It was shit. Plus Jim's fat spotty nose put me off my food. I could never eat whilst it was on. Same with Frank Gallagher in Shameless. Vile to look at.

Caroline Aherne is a comedy talent of immense magnitude but she can't walk on water - or even on Denise's broken waters. That bathroom scene was a disgrace to comedy and a prostitution of her talents.

The wallpapering scene was also a clear indicator that someone had developed delusions of comic infallibility.

And, as for Nana's death - comedians should stick to comedy and leave acting to actors.

Apart from the above, it's a series jam-packed with everything sitcom should be jam-packed with.

Quote: Roodeye @ November 19 2009, 11:26 AM GMT

Caroline Aherne is a comedy talent of immense magnitude but she can't walk on water - or even on Denise's broken waters. That bathroom scene was a disgrace to comedy and a prostitution of her talents.

The wallpapering scene was also a clear indicator that someone had developed delusions of comic infallibility.

And, as for Nana's death - comedians should stick to comedy and leave acting to actors.

This is total bollocks. All of the above scenes are examples of what makes Caroline Aherne such a comedy talent. They are I suppose in someways risks as it is inevitble people stuck in their ways will not get the comedy, but for the rest of us these were brilliant inovative classic moments.
As Paul Abbot says, comedy is neccessary in some cases for drama to really work and I think with this in mind it would be a pity if there were no sitcoms to include moments of drama.

Also, Liz Smith is an actress and not a comedian so they were leaving the acting to actors.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ November 19 2009, 11:55 AM GMT

This is total bollocks. All of the above scenes are examples of what makes Caroline Aherne such a comedy talent. They are I suppose in someways risks as it is inevitble people stuck in their ways will not get the comedy, but for the rest of us these were brilliant inovative classic moments.
As Paul Abbot says, comedy is neccessary in some cases for drama to really work and I think with this in mind it would be a pity if there were no sitcoms to include moments of drama.

Also, Liz Smith is an actress and not a comedian so they were leaving the acting to actors.

I agree with you Ronnie. Sometimes those silly moments do happen in real life, so it's not out of keeping, IMO, in the Royle Family.

Scene: The Royle bathroom. Int. Night.
DENISE AND NANA ARE SPRAWLED ON THE FLOOR, WHICH IS SOAKING WET.

JIM AND TWIGGY ARE SCRAPING WALLPAPER AND DISPLAYING MUCH BUILDER'S BUM AS THEY WIGGLE TO THE SOUND OF POP MUSIC BLARING FROM A RADIO

JIM (TO DENISE):
Are you sure it wasn't just a great big piss, love?

DENISE (IN PAIN):
It's the baby, Dad.

NANA (SEMI-CONSCIOUS):
To be quite honest with you, a lot of it is piss. I couldn't help it. I'm dying, you know.

JIM (TO DENISE AND NANA):
Yeah? Well whatever it is, make sure you don't slip in it when one of you goes downstairs to make us a brew. Me and Twiggy are parched here.

DENISE (IN PAIN):
I'm about to give birth, Dad!

NANA (SEMI-CONSCIOUS):
I'm dying. Sheila? Sheila!

(JIM AND TWIGGY EXCHANGE A GLANCE AS JIM SHAKES HIS HEAD AND SUCKS AIR ANGRILY THOUGH HIS TEETH)

(GRAMS: OASIS 'HALF THE WORLD AWAY')

(FADE TO BLACK)

The Royles were favourites here in Canada as well (at least among those who opted in to BBC Canada). I'm looking forward to the 09 Christmas special courtesy of my UK IP address (cheers, licence payers). As for favourite line, I think mine is "I paid a quid for these underpants and I've got 50 pence worth stuck up me arse!" (apologies if I didn't get it quite right).

When the Queen Mother died *sorry couldn't resist*

When Nana farts and gets up embarrassed and says "I think I'll just go and have another try" and the rest of em all start laughing as soon as she leaves the room.

Another one is the decorating episode when their all ragging Darren about him dating Tina Turner lookalike Big Julie from Argos, "Simply the best", "Have you seen her Nutbush City Limits"?

And when Jim and Dave are laughing at Anthony when he tells them that his band Exit have split up. "Exit, Exit."

The Queen of Sheba, I'm afraid I cried like a girl. And the one in the caravan where they keep saying, 'No chip pan Ba?' just like my holidays. :)

The bit where Nana died. I f**king hated that bitch.

When they are eating the chocolate bars and they are singing TV adverts and the who wants to be a millonaire d green.

Quote: george roper @ January 9 2013, 11:32 PM GMT

When they are eating the chocolate bars and they are singing TV adverts and the who wants to be a millonaire d green.

That was going to be mine too. We know that bit by heart in this house and sing it quite regularly.

Possibly says we should get out more than the Royles do, but still a great moment.