Are we still a democracy or a corptocracy? Page 2

Yes they did, I remember that now.

Quote: Bad dog @ September 18 2009, 10:04 AM BST

Just stop caring, because it won't do any good.

In one sentence this, ladies and gentlemen, is the political legacy of New Labour. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 18 2009, 10:06 AM BST

In one sentence this, ladies and gentlemen, is the political legacy of New Labour. :(

And Thatcherism.

But I suppose as they are so similar I shall call them New Thabour from here on in.

Which sounds like Conan's village to me.

No, I always felt like that, and it was always true. Though I do think that things are getting worse.

Quote: Bad dog @ September 18 2009, 10:10 AM BST

No, I always felt like that, and it was always true.

Why bother posting on this thread then? It's all a waste of time, isn't it? ;)

Quite the golden age of British democracy was the 40s and 50s.

Where's the 3rd Reich when we really need it?

And just what the BNP have been thriving on. The disgruntled silent majority have allowed the ignorant vocal minority a foot in the door. We must slam it shut!

I am sick of hearing about the sodding BNP. Sick, sick, sick.

In one of the biggest protest votes of the last 20 years they got 2 MEPs and a few council seats. I am way more concerned by the slide to the right of everyone else.

Ever read The Space Merchants by Fred Pohl? Written about five years after Nineteen Eight Four and infinitely more prescient. The world is run by five giant multi-nationals, politicians are redundant, the planet has been striped bare of natural resources, and everyone lives off of one giant genetically modified fast food chicken.

A shame Pohl was not such a good writer as Orwell, otherwise The Space Merchants might have served in the same way as a self-averting prophecy, rather than society sleep-walking into this.

Mmmnn, not so sure. I think the Conversatives will win the next election with a workable majority, but I don't think they will try to get away with savage cuts in frontline public services. The appetite in the country as a whole is ripe for cuts in the interest of reducing waste and bureaucracy, addressing the budget deficit etc. However, there seems no division between the "classes" on their desire to maintain health and education spending. Immigration may be what you're alluding to, but that will have to be dealt with one way or another. We're a small island and can't pretend we're anything otherwise. Racism and far-right parties only breed successfully where a very real underlying problem has not been adequately dealt with.

Quote: Timbo @ September 18 2009, 10:17 AM BST

Ever read The Space Merchants by Fred Pohl? Written about five years after Nineteen Eight Four and infinitely more prescient. The world is run by five giant multi-nationals, politicians are redundant, the planet has been striped bare of natural resources, and everyone lives off of one giant genetically modified fast food chicken.

A shame Pohl was not such a good writer as Orwell, otherwise The Space Merchants might have served in the same way as a self-averting prophecy, rather than society sleep-walking into this.

I read bits of it, rather good.

I do like a good dystopia, Make Room Make Room is excelent.

Quote: sootyj @ September 18 2009, 10:14 AM BST

I am sick of hearing about the sodding BNP. Sick, sick, sick.

In one of the biggest protest votes of the last 20 years they got 2 MEPs and a few council seats. I am way more concerned by the slide to the right of everyone else.

Yes, let's slide to the middle and force a hung parliament. Wouldn't mind seeing one of them.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 18 2009, 10:19 AM BST

Mmmnn, not so sure. I think the Conversatives will win the next election with a workable majority, but I don't think they will try to get away with savage cuts in frontline public services. The appetite in the country as a whole is ripe for cuts in the interest of reducing waste and bureaucracy, addressing the budget deficit etc. However, there seems no division between the "classes" on their desire to maintain health and education. Immigration may be what you're alluding to, but that will have to be dealt with one way or another. We're a small island and can't pretend we're anything otherwise.

Font line cuts of 10% have happened by stealth over the last 10 years. Both parties are getting very good at stealth slicing.

The big public sector savings to be made are in contracts with the private sector. Call me a cynic, but I can't see that happening, so we will continue to see the erosion of front-line services, particularly those provided by local authorities, who are always an easy target.

Quote: Timbo @ September 18 2009, 10:27 AM BST

The big public sector savings to be made are in contracts with the private sector. Call me a cynic, but I can't see that happening, so we will continue to see the erosion of front-line services, particularly those provided by local authorities, who are always an easy target.

It always annoys me when the local authority, who just happen to be in opposition to the ruling government, declare that they have to make cuts to frontline services. It's just political maneuvering. Angry