Best episode of Bless This House Page 2

I couldn't possibly!

Dude, it's Saturday night, it's YOUR website, it's about Bless This House. With all those ingredients if you DON'T you're condemning yourself to years of purgatory. Do it will ya! C'mooooooooooooooooooooooon

Ha ha. In all honesty, aside from that one that always sticks in my mind with the song, there are only a small handful of episodes that I don't absolutely love equally. And I couldn't possibly name a definitive favourite list of sitcoms, never mind sitcom episodes!

Besides anything else, it's been a couple of years now since I last watched Bless This House through (saving them up as a treat), so few others really spring to mind at all.

I'll tell you one I've never enjoyed much though: Strangers In The Night. Never been much inclined towards sitcom episodes where the characters are removed from their regular environment; nor where there's so little input from main characters (Mike and Sally). Some great jokes certainly, but lacks the BTH 'feel'.

Oh my God, you let me down. You haven't watched it in YEARS? How did you manage? I'm like a cigarette addict sitting next to a packet of Benson & Hedges. It gets a run through 3 times yearly AT LEAST. My current standard is to go Series 6,1,5,2,4,3 Because watching them in order would be too sad. Get it together Aaron and have a BTH marathon PRONTO!

(then post a best of 5 list so I don't feel like a turkey)

I'm pacing myself. Want to keep on enjoying it rather than see it too often and burn out. Besides, oodles of other great shows to watch in this job; just got to get back round to it. Hopefully over the summer.

Burn out? WTH man? How can you burn out of Bless This House. GO TO YOUR ROOM YOUNG MAN AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST SAID!

Any film or TV show can begin to lose its shine if you see it too often!

I have series 1, 3 and 5 plus the film. It's a nice easy sitcom with my favourite actor of that period. I have once a year sessions with Goodnight Sweetheart myself, when I'm feeling tense I just pop an episode of this on. Nearly every episode of Goodnight Sweetheart is enjoyable. I enjoy the scenes with Ron mainly.

Watched the second half of Series 2 yesterday, and almost without fail each episode had me absolutely cracking up. That's why I really could never single out any list of favourites.

Quote: Aaron @ May 5 2012, 9:58 PM BST

Any film or TV show can begin to lose its shine if you see it too often!

But there are some that honestly don't, at least for some people. There are a handful of films I've watched over a hundred times and still look fantastic. I've seen Jaws way over a hundred times, but came across it on ITV4 :) the other night and enjoyed it as much as I ever do. Must see it at least 5 times a year. You can get addicted to some films, and I just love that rubber fish.

So, if you are a massive fan of it, watch it whenever you want as I never get tired of my favourites. I think your fears might be unfounded. The human brain is a funny old thing and some things just never seem to lose their shine if they fascinate you.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 10 2012, 7:37 AM BST

But there are some that honestly don't, at least for some people. There are a handful of films I've watched over a hundred times and still look fantastic. I've seen Jaws way over a hundred times, but came across it on ITV4 :) the other night and enjoyed it as much as I ever do. Must see it at least 5 times a year. You can get addicted to some films, and I just love that rubber fish.

So, if you are a massive fan of it, watch it whenever you want as I never get tired of my favourites. I think your fears might be unfounded. The human brain is a funny old thing and some things just never seem to lose their shine if they fascinate you.

Amen to that my friend, well said..

Quote: Ben700 @ May 12 2013, 5:55 PM BST

I'm considering buying the DVDs of this on Amazon and wondered whether watching it for the first time in 2013 is a good idea? Has it aged well?

I am fan of the Carry On films and I like Sid James (although I can't get into the Hancock Half Hour thing he did which I know is received well) but at least 'Bless This House' is in colour and is from the same era that Sid was starring in the Carry On films, so...

Is it worth it?

I haven't seen it yet. But all I can say is that the DVD sets are pretty expensive. I was considering buying them myself but the price at the moment did put me off.

Quote: Ben700 @ May 12 2013, 5:55 PM BST

I am fan of the Carry On films and I like Sid James, so...

Is it worth it?

Ab-so-bleeding-lutely.

See also: George And The Dragon and Two In Clover.

And Citizen James.