Best episode of Bless This House

I think probably the best one is Two Heads Are Better Than One, where Sid destroys a model that Mike has made for a competition.

Does anyone agree?

Quote: John M @ August 28 2009, 10:26 PM BST

I think probably the best one is Two Heads Are Better Than One, where Sid destroys a model that Mike has made for a competition.

Does anyone agree?

I'm not sure.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/bless_this_house/episodes/5/1/

Sid and Trevor attempt to compose a song for a competition.

I'm not familiar enough with it to know which episodes were which, but I still enjoy watching this occasionally.

Quote: Leevil @ August 28 2009, 11:06 PM BST

I'm not familiar enough with it to know which episodes were which, but I still enjoy watching this occasionally.

I would say the same. Did they really differentiate much from one episode to another?

Quote: Chappers @ August 28 2009, 11:13 PM BST

I would say the same. Did they really differentiate much from one episode to another?

That's my feeling with things like this and Last of the Summer Wine - yes, it's run for 289 episodes but they're nearly all the same. ;)

Quote: Chappers @ August 28 2009, 11:13 PM BST

Did they really differentiate much from one episode to another?

Yes.

I thought it was just Sid going yuck, yuck, yuck. His wife looking embarrassed because she made a blunder. The daughter nearly getting into trouble and the son wanting a new girlfriend all the time.

Quote: Chappers @ August 28 2009, 11:29 PM BST

I thought it was just Sid going yuck, yuck, yuck. His wife looking embarrassed because she made a blunder. The daughter nearly getting into trouble and the son wanting a new girlfriend all the time.

Sounds like My Family to me. :)

Quote: Chappers @ August 28 2009, 11:29 PM BST

None of those are correct. Although if you mean trouble, then perhaps, yes. If you mean 'trouble' then not at all. But any sitcom can be boiled down to that level. Fawlty Towers is just a man being snobby and trying to hide his mistakes from his domineering wife. Blackadder is a crawly, self-serving man trying to get ahead with no thought for others, especially not his cabbage brained sidekick. Peep Show is just two losers, one wimpy and one just plain feckless.

Quote: Aaron @ August 29 2009, 12:36 PM BST

None of those are correct. Although if you mean trouble, then perhaps, yes. If you mean 'trouble' then not at all. But any sitcom can be boiled down to that level. Fawlty Towers is just a man being snobby and trying to hide his mistakes from his domineering wife. Blackadder is a crawly, self-serving man trying to get ahead with no thought for others, especially not his cabbage brained sidekick. Peep Show is just two losers, one wimpy and one just plain feckless.

You have just pulled my life apart. Unimpressed

My favourite episode is Things That Go Bump In The Night, the last episode of the show's best series; series 2. Good spooky theme and a good guest appearance from Robin Askwith.

I've heard that a penchant for making lists is a sign of anal retention, and I read that in a Stephen Fry novel and surely he must know something about this, right? Anyway, I'm taking a break from cramming things into my bottom to DEFY THE THREAD TITLE and hereby posting my favourite episodeS of Bless This House.

And so, in no particular order:

1. Charity Begins At Home. I love the character played by Robin Stewart. I loved how he was this lower middle classed kid that acted like he was a pot-smoking communist. It was SO BEAUTIFULLY phoney and reminds me of some of the cretins I knew when I was his age. Sid suddenly sitting at the table, randomly starting to laugh.... JEAN: What's the matter? SID: I'm going potty!

2. The Gypsy's Warning. Jean is such a wonderful character. Diana Coupland was a breath-takingly beautiful woman and a joy to watch. Trying to stop her husband from going fishing to 'save his life'. And Sid trying to fix a hole in the roof. SID: I've found it! JEAN: Found what? SID: What did I come up here to look for?! JEAN: A hole in the roof. SID: I've found it! JEAN: Can you see up there? SID: Yes, fortunately there's a hole in the roof. Quality!

3. And They Will Come Home. I love how Sid's kids decide to punish Sid for refusing to bow to their demands by moving out into a caravan in the garden and the shed respectively. And Jean totally takes their side. So similar to my own life... But Sid hiding away in the airing cupboard to be fed by Trevor by a bottle with a teat on it through a hole in the door. It's priceless comedy. brilliant.

4. Blood Is Thicker Than Water. This was the first episode of BTH I ever saw. It's a thin excuse for loving it, but I guess it was like the first gentle kiss that sent me spiralling so deeply in love with the fair maiden. Hmmm. Sorry.

5. Well Well Well. I disagree VERY strongly with some other posts in this forum that state that later series of BTH are weak. To be honest I think series 5 and 6 are brilliant. A lot of BTH can be samey with someone getting totally the wrong end of the stick and jumping to the wrong conclusion. This episode is a classic example of bucking the trend. Love the Water Board men. Especially where they are talking in code and tapping the Water Board Manual. It's ace.

I'll stop there....

I've always had a penchant for They Don't Write Songs Like That Anymore. There is nothing about that song that I do not love. Just utterly inspired.

Quote: Aaron @ May 5 2012, 8:56 PM BST

I've always had a penchant for They Don't Write Songs Like That Anymore. There is nothing about that song that I do not love. Just utterly inspired.

Dammit, I love that episode too. Now I feel like a fraud because the boss man didn't condescend to making a top 5 list. Booo :(