Do you GROW? Page 14

Little-known fact: "All Hass avocado trees have been grown from seeds (or were grafted from the cuttings) of a single tree which was grown from a seed purchased in 1926 from A. R. Rideout of Whittier, California."

My best friend lives in Whittier and I once saw the original tree. My friend's wife's family have a house with 2 HUGE avocado trees. He'll let visitors cart away a bushel of the delicious fruit if they ask.

Large, ripe Hass avocados typically sell for about a dollar. The price fluctuates a bit depending on the supply. Stores in California typically have massive avocado displays, while the rest of the country has fewer to choose from.

Never quite got the avocado tbh, yes they can be pleasant in little slithers but are very bland and need a lot of seasoning. I don't despise them but they've never caught on with me. And that guacamole stuff is awful. Why they have so many fans is one of life's little mysteries.

Quote: Nogget @ June 12 2010, 9:23 AM BST

And of course, Britain is great for growing miserable.

I'm trying that now, and it's going very well so far.

Avocados are wonderful on salads and I often use them on sandwiches and burgers. Their creamy, oily properties make them a tasty and healthier alternative to mayonnaise.

There's a lot of bad guacamole out there, but the good stuff - preferably homemade - makes a heavenly addition to most Mexican meals.

Hmm, I really like Mexican, chilli, tacos, enchiladas, very yum but I've never been tempted to throw that tasteless green muck on it like some do. I have tried it with chilli and I thought it ruined it. Now that Indian version of a green cooling dip (what's it called?) works brilliantly with their hot stuff. I have used that with chilli and far prefer it.

If the guacamole is tasteless then you can be assured that it's not good guacamole. It's great on tacos and burritos, but pairing it with chili seems odd.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 12 2010, 2:50 PM BST

tasteless green muck

The avocados we get in Britain are very variable in quality, I find. I assume it has something to do with them being shipped before they are ripe, because I've often found them to be both under-ripe, and rotting, at the same time. It's worth spending extra to get a great one. Price makes all the difference; I know that ASDA sell 5 for £1, but they're usually inedible.

I tried one once and it was disgusting.
Has put me off for life.

Bad ones can be bitter, so I imagine that was a bad, unripe one. Good ones not bad at all, just not really my thing.

Talking about bitter, does anyone here actually like the aubergine? God I detest that nasty invention. It's not even redeemed by its rather fetching deep purple colour.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 12 2010, 4:09 PM BST

Talking about bitter, does anyone here actually like the aubergine?

We call them eggplants and I'm not a fan. I guess eggplant Parmesan is edible, but why not use chicken instead?

They have been bred to avoid being bitter these days. If you've not had one for years, try them now.

I didn't know that.

"In the past it was normal to salt aubergines to remove bitterness and moisture. Modern aubergines are rarely too bitter,.../ "

http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/Archive/aubergine.htm

And slimy. Bet they're still slimy.

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2010, 1:50 PM BST

Avocados are wonderful on salads and I often use them on sandwiches and burgers. Their creamy, oily properties make them a tasty and healthier alternative to mayonnaise.

There's a lot of bad guacamole out there, but the good stuff - preferably homemade - makes a heavenly addition to most Mexican meals.

I have some killer guac chilling in the fridge for the US/England gameCool,

Avocados are weird the first time you try them. But by the second time, they become quite nice. Love guacamole.