Jam & Jerusalem - Series 3 Page 6

Inspired by the frankly very impressive cast list, I watched my first and last episode of J&J. Someone tell me, is this supposed to be a comedy? It's the worst drivel I've seen in a long while, it rivals, Only Fools and Horses and Absolutely Fabulous, and now that I come to think of it, Little Britain and The League of Gentlemen. An utter waste of license payer's money.

Sadly, Mr Nield, last night's episode was one of the better ones. >_<

I thought it quite an improvement on previous. I'm enjoying it as far as the storyline goes, and there are a couple of laughs, but there is no way it should have the "sitcom" label applied to it. It just ... isn't.

Enjoyed it again. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot. Funny and touching. Good stuff.

Quote: Mr Nield @ August 17 2009, 2:36 PM BST

Only Fools and Horses and Absolutely Fabulous, The League of Gentlemen.

All great shows.

Yet another magnificent episode. I love the dramatic writing as it really has served the purpose of proving that this show is NOT meant to be a sitcom.

I love J&J!!! I miss Queenie (is she ever coming back into it?) J&J is not mean to be a sitcom in the tradional sense, but it's comedy heaven and extemely funny. Jennifer's little quips about "dogging" and "rimming" are hilarious!

Quote: matt insley @ August 17 2009, 7:34 PM BST

I love the dramatic writing as it really has served the purpose of proving that this show is NOT meant to be a sitcom.

It was written as a sitcom, commissioned as a sitcom and initially broadcast as a sitcom. The fact that it isn't one is not intentional.

I think it clearly is intentional. :)

I think it was intended as a sitcom - but then it was discovered it wasn't funny - a bit like my stuff.

Of course, by being commissioned as a sitcom J&J denied some sitcom a slot. I can understand that this may rankle with anyone who had a sitcom pitched for the slot – or had a 'rural' sitcom rejected because the BBC had J&J!

However, as D.H. Lawrence says: "Never trust the artist. Trust the tale". Whatever Jennifer Saunders' intentions, she has created an excellent and affecting drama.

Quote: JohnnyD @ August 19 2009, 9:53 PM BST

However, as D.H. Lawrence says: "Never trust the artist. Trust the tale". Whatever Jennifer Saunders' intentions, she has created an excellent and affecting drama.

You're never going to persuade me of anything by quoting DH Lawrence. I've never forgiven him for writing 'The Rainbow', one of the worst "classic" novels I've ever read/studied.

J&J is a self-indulgent, nostalgic show which, whilst inoffensive in itself, nonetheless irritates me by its very existence. It's basically Dibley without the gags at the end of the day.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 20 2009, 12:19 AM BST

It's basically Dibley without the gags at the end of the day.

That's actually quite a good description!
I still enjoy it though.

Fair enough. (BTW, I should point out that I don't like Dibley either. But I have a lot more respect for that show than J&J.)

Quote: zooo @ August 20 2009, 12:36 AM BST

That's actually quite a good description!

Doesn't feel like Dibley to me.

J&J is self-indulgent, nostalgic-

-and great! :)

Well. Good, at least.

It's basically Dibley without the gags at the end of the day.

Does Dibley have gags at the end of the day? What has Janet been telling you?