The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 575

Holland's trouble is that apart from three or four players they're all second rate.

(That is what I was thinking earlier in the game.)

That's what we want. Consistent refereeing.

11 goals in the first three games...very nice!
I'm sure Spain can/will bounce back.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 13th June 2014, 10:25 PM BST

It's the death knell for tippy-tappy tiki-taka.. and thank heavens for that.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 1st May 2014, 10:30 PM BST

Some of the Bayern fans were questioning whether the days of tiki-taka football are over after the recent decline of Barcelona and the success of the more straightforward attacking style (ie Premiership style) of Real Madrid.

:O Me and the Stylee agreeing on summat.

This Aussie battle looks good.

Hard luck! So close.........

I think the Holland game was better than anything from the last World Cup, so hopefully we're in for a good tournament for the first time in decades.

England kick off at 11pm tonight which bugs me a little bit as there's a chance I'll fall asleep. BUT DEPENDING ON HODGSON'S TEAM SELECTION THAT EVENT COULD OCCUR AT ANY TIME OF DAY! LOL! ROFL! LOL! etc

Had me'sen a nap this afternoon to combat Mr Sandman taking me halfway through the match.
...And not having a drink until 22:00 (well, that's the plan)

Got money on the match too, bookies giving 2/1 England - they seem to think it will be a draw though.

Plenty of pace from England so far. Maybe a bit too eager to shoot from any position at the minute though.

It wasn't Phil Neville co-commentating at all...

I hope Switzerland is luckier today thand England.

Although we lost last night, we played a lot better than we did in the Euros and the last World Cup. Defending is still a concern - they seem to be playing the Liverpool way which is dangerous. Still fairly confident that we'll go through.

Two questions:

1. Who are we going to play instead of Johnson?

2. Will there be a section in the next training session entitled "How not to hoof it over the bar"?

Such a shame to see a bright attacking team (for a change) let down by poor finishing.
And Johnson was lumbering at best.

EDIT:
Oh, yeah - and I just remembered Rooney's corner
FFS!!!

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th June 2014, 11:21 AM BST

1. Who are we going to play instead of Johnson?

The problem wasn't on Johnson's side though - it was Rooney not providing adequate protection for Baines (and an excellent performance from the Italian right hand side).

The question is whether there is room for Stirling and Rooney in the same team - or are they both luxury players?

I thought Stevie G had a bit of an off night too.

Still - for the first time in years, it feels like a bit of progress is being made . That is new for England.

Quote: Ben @ 15th June 2014, 11:17 AM BST

Still fairly confident that we'll go through.

Likewise - we should have too much for the Uraguay defence, who struck me as static and lumbering.

Also, there is no-one in that team that requires man marking a la Pirlo. (Incidentally, I thought we did a good job on him. You are never going to keep someone of that quality quiet for 90 minutes, but he wasn't bossing the play as usual).
Costa Rica could be an interesting game though!

Grow some balls Roy

Drop Rooney

Erikson was too spineless to drop Beckham and your doing the same with this useless scouse git

And as for Johnson.....

F**kin hell

From someone who has a vague interest in loopy theories what about this one - Colourful footballs producing colourful football? Last WC had the worst football design I'd ever seen - block grey! And the awful football completely matched it, dullest WC ever.

This WC's football is one of the prettiest and certainly the most colourful I've ever clocked. And look at the football so far, bloomin brilliant it's been, a complete turnaround from last time. And all the boots, I haven't seen one black boot yet. Obviously the gods of colour are very happy. Funny ol world innit :S

Congrats Gordon. Great result!