The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 255

Someone with passion, not someone with venom. With his track record he should be unemployable, I really don't understand why this seems to be the only area of employment (possibly excepting politicians) where consistently disgraceful behaviour and attitude is excusable. But agreed, someone who looks like they give a shit would be lovely

A shiz, even :)

Gatusso then. Huh?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 4 2011, 1:37 PM BST

Barton could do well at Spurs, I think Harry is one of the few managers he'd get along with, and he'd give them that bit of muscle. In fact neighbours Arsenal need his type of play much more but I cannot see the rather pampered cosmoopolitan lot there accepting him. Wenger has to finally accept that he desperately needs a bit of steel to strengthen his talented but flaky midfield. They haven't been the same since Viera went.

I've heard that Arsenal's players don't even tackle each other in training.

:D Tee hee. Oh poor old sneezenall. Can they make it 7 on the trot without a pot? My money's going on it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 4 2011, 2:25 PM BST

Gatusso then. Huh?

Unable to condone headbutting of even Spurs' staff!
When I was growing up there were plenty of players on various teams who were aggressive players and maybe a bit 'laddish' but weren't actually out to hurt others, or who had temper tantrums. It seems like now any player who makes a lot of effort is either psychotic or a thug, on and off the pitch.
Is it the increasing money? In conjunction with trends in broader society? That we let people believe their own hype and are lenient about behaviour that would get anyone else banged up?

I have a league 'accumulator' bet each year.

Each way, of course, to give a realistic chance of winning.

Each team needs to finish top 3 in their respective league.

I'm going for:

PL: Man Utd
Ch: Leicester
L1: Preston
L2: Crawley

Birmingham are 5th favourites to win the league at 16/1! But they are also 9/2 to be relegated! What?!?

I do feel there is a weakness at top level to root the very worst offenders out and ban them. There are still plenty of highly paid thugs around who shouldn't really be allowed to play, certainly not on TV.

But if they couldn't ban Vinny Jones for more than a month or two at a time, then they'll never give life bans to the likes of Thatcher or the other leg breakers out there.

However, I do believe there should be room for robust physical football because if you don't have them then all we'll end up with is a pretty but ineffective and toothless passing game. Which brings me back to Ar... oops sorry. :)

Quote: AJGO @ August 4 2011, 2:45 PM BST

Unable to condone headbutting of even Spurs' staff!

He must've been mental to try and head-butt Joe Jordan.

What Man City have done with all their millions leaves a very sour taste in the mouth. There will be bickering, jealousy, in-fighting and has a sense of a club of mercenaries just waiting to implode.

However...

They have their first trophy now so I would just love it if they won the title, love it, just to see the look on Fergie's and the smug fan's faces. :)

Quote: Tuumble @ August 4 2011, 4:41 PM BST

However...

They have their first trophy now so I would just love it if they won the title, love it, just to see the look on Fergie's and the smug fan's faces. :)

Me too. Anyone but United!!!

Incidentally I think there should be a limit to the number of players you can loan out. Teams seem to buy them to stop someone else having them and then loan them where they want.

It's different with kids under 20 who need some experience but they might think twice about signing so many players. Also the player would think twice before joining someone with no chance of playing.

Times are changing people, how anyone but City fans could possibly prefer City to United just baffles me.

Quote: Jamey @ August 4 2011, 5:07 PM BST

Times are changing people, how anyone but City fans could possibly prefer City to United just baffles me.

I do! I can't stand United and their smug domination. Arseholes. I can't wait for them to go bust, get relegated or fall out of the Champions League places.

United are basically the school bullies and the teachers are frightened of them too.

The FA I'd say are certainly a little in awe of them, and I'm including their referees.

Quote: Chappers @ August 4 2011, 4:54 PM BST

Me too. Anyone but United!!!

Incidentally I think there should be a limit to the number of players you can loan out. Teams seem to buy them to stop someone else having them.

The team who were most famous for doing that, back in the early '90s, was A.C. Milan. They already had a team of superstars, but they kept buying big-nmae players, just to stop other teams from signing them. They paid about £8 million for Brian Laudrup, £10 million for Jean-Pierre Papin, and a then world record fee of £13 million for Gianluigi Lentini, and all 3 of them seemed to spend most of their time there sitting on the bench.

Apparently Lentini is still playing in Italy, at 42.

Quote: Chappers @ August 4 2011, 5:23 PM BST

I do! I can't stand United and their smug domination. Arseholes. I can't wait for them to go bust, get relegated or fall out of the Champions League places.

United are basically the school bullies and the teachers are frightened of them too.

Succes breeds contempt, I understand why people hate United so much, we don't ever appear to have a very good squad but we always do well, it would piss me off if I supported another team.
Atleast nobody here has latched on to the "Glory Hunter" thing, I get it all the time, it really gets on my nerves that people don't seam to believe it is possible to be a legitimate supporter of United unless you like within 5 metres of Old Trafford and even then loads of people would say you should support City.
I think that right now City are worse for the premier legue than United with their player hogging and massive spending, they are hiking transfer prices to all but eridicate smaller clubs from being able to compete, if a coomon enemy was ever needed I would think they would be the obvious choice rather then United.

And don't even say anything about referees, we got so little favours from them last season that it is a joke to even suggest we are paying them off, or they are scared of us etc.
The fact is, all teams have good and bad calls because of referees, everyone notices bad calls in favour of united because of the myth that referees favour us, whenever we are cheated by the ref, people say "Oh well the ref helps you all the time, so this dosent count." These days we are even with other teams on the good calls and bad calls we get. For every point we may have earned through a bad call last season we have probably lost a point from a bad call in favour of the other team.
As for the FA last season, they acctually treated us pretty harshly, they gave us bans where they didnt give other players bans for the same thing and when they didnt give a ban (Rooneys elbow) there were reasons for them not giving the ban (past cases, gerrards elbow, I don't remeber the year, but he did the same thing without punishment because the ref didnt see, just like rooney)