The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 157

By the way did anyone mention that Chelsea won the double last season?

Germany 4 -0 Argentina. Makes me feel less worried about our defeat. :D

As we say in the Black Country . pick the boones outa that'un.

Who is going to stop the Germans in Africa?! Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery?!

I'd like to see Uruguay or Spain win.

So the Germans are going to goose walk it? Hmm, not necessarily, I've looked at it from another angle and it really is quite interesting - much of this seems a bit far out, but then the Fates themselves are very far out there. Destiny? Well I've uncovered some interesting coincidences or historic correlations - 1 All four semi finalists will be linked via history in some way. Germany v Spain, Germany intervened in the Spanish Civil War as a prelude to their 2nd world war nonsense and Spain subjugated Holland who are playng Uraguay who descend from the Spanish and were allies of Germany duing the war and took most of their fleeing war criminals. One of the main reasons that the third reich had an affinity to Uruguay was the unusual 'arrian' look of their people, having a large proportion of blonde people, thus standing out from most other South American nations.

Okay let's say the faourites win the semis, that means a Germany v Holland final. Germany occupied Holland in WW2. Germany also beat Holland in their last world cup final meeting. That gives Holland two scores to settle. This final, although not at home they will be in a kind of second home, and they should get a lot of local support from their white South African descendants. Germany beat Holland at home. Are Holland fated to beat them at their 'second home'? In 74 Holland were easily the best team in the tournament, this year it's Germany who are playing the best football. Is it to be one goose step too far for Jerry? I think so myself, guided by the strange but often so wonderful ways of the Fates I am backing Holland to beat Germany in the 2010 world cup.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 3 2010, 9:36 PM BST

Okay let's say the faourites win the semis, that means a Germany v Holland final.

Spain will be favourites to beat Germany in their semi I reckon Alf

Well I personally see Germany as favourites against Spain, I also feel the bookmakers may see it more that way come the day.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 3 2010, 9:48 PM BST

But I can't see one bookmaker who doesn't have Germany as favourites.

There's a few up early, all have Spain favs:

http://bookiesindex.bestbetting.com/football/world-cup-2010/main-tournament/knockout-stage/semi-finals/germany-v-spain/match-result/

Yeah I edited post accordingly. Some of them changed their minds when Spain's goal went in then, because Germany were the favourites up to then.

The bookies are not always right though, we had England as favourites against Germany :D

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/to-reach-final

I don't know, there's just something about the Dutch that always makes them choke at the decisive moment.

Quote: catskillz @ July 4 2010, 5:13 AM BST

I don't know, there's just something about the Dutch that always makes them choke at the decisive moment.

A delightful young lady confirmed this on my last visit to Amsterdam.

Quote: Badge @ July 4 2010, 12:56 PM BST

A delightful young lady confirmed this on my last visit to Amsterdam.

;) ;)

Uruguay are 12/1 to win it, worth a fiver. Perhaps.