The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 154

Did he? >_<

Have you noticed, Ray Parlour has exactly the same voice as Tony Cascarino?

Quote: Splodge @ June 27 2010, 9:36 PM BST

We know what it's like to be s**t, to be ninety seconds away from being relegated into the Old Third Division and to have your hopes of a first trophy in decades ruined by a moment of madness, like a Craig Burley backpass. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't group us in there with those other clubs.

Thank you.

All I see nowadays is plastic Chelsea fans who started supporting the team after Abramovich turned up. I used to bother differentiating, but you're so few and far between I don't see the point anymore. Still, apologies are in order since you probably do gettit. Sorry!

(Notbeingsarcastic.)

Quote: don rushmore @ June 27 2010, 10:40 PM BST

Did he? >_<

Have you noticed, Ray Parlour has exactly the same voice as Tony Cascarino?

LOL. I thought it was Cascarino, when I first typed my last comment, and typed his name, before hearing the other presenter say it was Parlour. Actully, Cascarino also presents a Talksport show.

Quote: Splodge @ June 27 2010, 11:12 PM BST

Sorry, I'm fascinated by this - all you see nowadays are plastic Chelsea fans? Where and how do you come across them? And how do you know they only started supporting the team since Roman Abramovich turned up?

Admittedly, I see a lot more kids now in Chelsea shirts than ever before but they don't technically count as many of them probably didn't even know football existed or weren't even born before 2003.

Actually, 'fascinated' is a bit of an overstatement. I'm genuinely fascinated by this though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUq5MAU_cA

This is worth a smile now !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sv5qy/606_23_06_2010/

:D :D :D :D

Quote: catskillz @ June 27 2010, 5:05 PM BST

If that injury-time USA goal hadn't gone in, against Algeria, we could've at least left the tournament with some pride, by making it to the Semi-Finals, after beating Ghana and Uruguay.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: catskillz @ June 27 2010, 5:26 PM BST

I think football fans all over the world should maybe boycott games, until action-replays are brought in for referees.

But down to what level wuld you have it?

Quote: PhQnix @ June 27 2010, 4:56 PM BST

To all the Man United fans, all the Chelsea fans, all the Liverpool fans and all the Arsenal fans: if you were following England today this is the closest you'll ever be to understanding what it's like to be a real football fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goal-line_technology#Advocates

COME ON. F**k off Platini, f**k off Blatter.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing for - or against.

Quote: PhQnix @ June 27 2010, 5:39 PM BST

They do. There were instances at Palace where they actually had to cut the feed to big screens when the referee is wrong, so that he couldn't see that he was wrong. It's all outrageous.

like the Mexico game?

Quote: Ben @ June 27 2010, 7:42 PM BST

Did anyone hear Chris Waddle on Radio 5 after the game? He was getting quite worked up about the FA's approach to the national team.

England played well for about 20 minutes when it was 2-1, but that was it sadly.

I did. He was very emotional.

The FA must take a lot of blame, yes, they are bungling fools. They fail to force clubs to rest England's best players when needed, they are impotent against the mighty premier league who own our players, they fail to stop burnout, their continuing longer seasons are a major factor in this, and they still haven't bothered to cap the amount of foreign players in the league to ensure England players can come through. And their very worst mistake yet, lavishing a new contract on unproven Capello before the world cup which has effectively trapped themselves into keeping a failure in charge, or lose a massive £12m! Capello has made mugs out of them and money is all the greedy bastard is interested in, not England. The FA board should all resign!

Quote from Trvor Brooking .

"There is an immediate void in the standard of the team. World Cup 2014 will be difficult for England," he said. "I don't think there are the obvious quality [players] coming through who can replicate what we have currently . . "

That's OK then.

Brazil v Chile tonight!

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me why Terry Venables stood down as England manager, after Euro '96? Was it because he was involved in some sort of fraud?

Wiki says . .

By November 1993, the England national football team was at low point, having failed to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup under previous manager Graham Taylor. Venables, though not active in the game, seemed to have the presence and charisma that could re-ignite some patriotic pride and achievement. He was appointed manager on 28 January 1994.

However, the speculation coincided with Venables coming under scrutiny and censure in connection with several of his business dealings. The Football Association struggled to identify an alternative candidate but their discomfort with his soiled reputation for probity was articulated in their appointment of him as England 'coach' rather than under the traditional title of 'manager'. However, Venables decided in January 1996 that he was going to leave the England job after the European Championships that summer, as he wanted to concentrate on clearing his name in connection with off-the-field business dealings.

As hosts, England did not need to qualify for the UEFA Euro 1996. There were plenty of highs and lows during the finals, where England won three of their five games (including one on penalties). The highest point came with the 4-1 defeat of the Netherlands in the final group game. Venables suffered penalty shoot-out heartache again in the semi-finals, losing to Germany. During his 23 match tenure as England manager, the team only lost once.

That's really annoying.

He had to step down because the ridiculously conservative and reactionary old fogies at the FA couldn't be seen to go into the Garrick Club having done business with a suspected 'tax evader', it wouldn't have done their chances of knighhoods any good, would it. It's the same reason why the best English manager today won't get the England job. They are self interested cowards who care less about the future of England than their own personal ones. They make me spew, for England. Sick England Sick

I remember that Venables was one of the favourites to replace Hoddle and Keegan as England manager, but the FA wouldn't have him back.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 27 2010, 4:39 PM BST

I'd imagine Crouch will be pretty f**ked off at the amount of football he's played during the tournament. He's scored a lot of goals for England.

Totally agree with this. I'd have started him up front with Rooney. He is effective in the air (Something Heskey is and Defoe isn't) and will score goals (something Heskey won't and Defoe will). The combination of Heskey and Defoe's talents and he never even started.