The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 150

I know someone who's having a Wedding on Sunday.
Not well enough to be invited thankfully.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 26 2010, 12:08 AM BST

Not well enough to be invited thankfully.

You mean they don't invite poorly people?

:D

I would probably try to fake illness.
There's enough desperation & heartache at Weddings as it is without adding England Vs Germany to the mix.

I was just thinking, which is the highest-ranked team to fail to qualify for this World Cup? I'm thinking Sweden, Russia, Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belgium, Egypt or Ireland.

Croatiaaaaaaaaa. Thanks to us, woo!

Quote: Chappers @ June 25 2010, 1:10 PM BST

Here's my team of the tournament so far.

Butt (Germany)

Ponce (Paraguay)
Shittu (Nigeria)
Bong (Cameroon)
Pantsil (Ghana)

Stankovic (Serbia)
Messi (Argentina)
Lee Dong Jin (S Korea)
Kaka (Brazil)

Cisse (France)
Bendtner (Denmark)

(That was hard work!)

But worth it I think.

Quote: catskillz @ June 26 2010, 3:03 AM BST

I was just thinking, which is the highest-ranked team to fail to qualify for this World Cup? I'm thinking Sweden, Russia, Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belgium, Egypt or Ireland.

Well the best team to watch currently is easily Russia, a shame they let Slovenia beat them to qualify, Arshavin could have been one of the stars of this world cup like he was in Euro 2008.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 25 2010, 9:46 PM BST

As Lee Chapman said to Lesley Ash "It's knockout time now"

Hmm, do you think that may have actually been the real reason she got those big bouncy lips installed, to deflect the brute's blows when Leeds Utd lost.

Quote: catskillz @ June 25 2010, 11:56 PM BST

My sister and my mum are taking my nephew to Chester Zoo on Sunday. I told them they'll probably have the place to themselves, due to the England match being on.

But have they actually asked him if he wants to go? Or is this some kind of punishment for being naughty?

Quote: catskillz @ June 25 2010, 10:37 PM BST

That second Italy goal last night was probably the best goal so far in this tournament.

Yes that's my favourite, and I would bet on seeing a lot more chips now, it seems the 'soft' Jabolani ball is better suited to floating chips than blasting shots. Rooney should take note and try some because he is the best chipper in England.

Beckenbaur way overdoing it with the England criticism, then giving a strange half embarrassed apology cloaked under more weak pschological warfare, and a bizarre story being dreamt up about a psychic octipus named 'Nostropuss' who predicts they will win, blimey anyone half sane and not given to gullibility would think the Germans might be a lttle scared of playing England on Sunday...?

You wait till the legion of inflatable Spitfires start getting waved about, then we will see real fear! They shouldn't start their jumped up nonsense again then should they, time to teach them another lesson boys... England England England

Thankfully our restrained tabloids won't go in for any of that silly jingoism and rampant Germanbashing. Whistling nnocently

Quote: chipolata @ June 26 2010, 1:09 PM BST

Thankfully our restrained tabloids won't go in for any of that silly jingoism and rampant Germanbashing. Whistling nnocently

Yes, thankfully . .

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3030482/Sun-video-backs-Englands-boys.html

"Sit down! Eh, sit down! Did you sit down before? Yes? Well, get up!" Laughing out loud

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 26 2010, 12:24 PM BST

But have they actually asked him if he wants to go? Or is this some kind of punishment for being naughty?

He's only three-and-a-half. The next World Cup will be the first one that he watches. He's lucky that he's got a few people around him who are big football fans. When I was a kid, I didn't really have anyone to get me into the game, as my Dad wasn't really interested in it, I didn't have any brothers or male cousins, and the one Grandfather I had who was still alive, I only saw a few times a year.

Quote: chipolata @ June 26 2010, 1:09 PM BST

The madness of this still makes me laugh after 14 years:

One of the things that always sticks in my mind about Euro '96 was the way the media made a fuss about Gazza and Dion Dublin both being 29, and Teddy Sheringham being 30, as if they were all old men who were past it. Actually, did Dublin even make the final squad? I think he might've missed out at the last minute.

Quote: catskillz @ June 26 2010, 9:29 PM BST

One of the things that always sticks in my mind about Euro '96 was the way the media made a fuss about Gazza and Dion Dublin both being 29, and Teddy Sheringham being 30, as if they were all old men who were past it. Actually, did Dublin even make the final squad? I think he might've missed out at the last minute.

I don't think Dublin did. He was forever a 'nearly' man.

Quote: catskillz @ June 26 2010, 3:03 AM BST

Columbia also missed out.