The Book Group Page 2

I much prefer The Book Group to Father Ted. It's one of my all time favourite shows, it's horribly dark.

I liked it. As said, it's more comedy drama than out-and-out sitcom, but still has some very funny moments. Series two is where James Lance proves he can play something other than smug arsehole ;)

Dan

Some of the jokes were developed over weeks and came from chasracter so were really potent.

Watch it for Michelle Gomez, at the very least. :)

Quote: zooo @ June 14 2009, 10:51 PM BST

I was going to add exactly that!

Dan

Quote: zooo @ June 14 2009, 10:51 PM BST

Isn't she married to Jack Davenport?

Good show, mind. Especially the first series. The second one went off the boil a bit, but it was never less than entertaining. I particularly liked the gay bloke, Rab, who was about the most mature and realistic portrait of a homosexual you're likely to see in a comedy show.

On the totty front, I liked the lead actress. Anne Dudek. Geeky sex appeal in spades.

Yes that whole gay subplot was a lot of fun, but it was like something from a much more serious and entertaining show.

I also loved the way they tied the books into each episode. Makes you realise how rare intellectual comedy is these days.

The second season was deffo weaker, especially all the spunk and blow jobs. And I doubt there was material for a 3rd one.

But it was great and it would be nice to see a few more shows that are a little bit elitist.

Quote: sootyj @ June 15 2009, 12:45 PM BST

But it was great and it would be nice to see a few more shows that are a little bit elitist.

I'm working on it; jokes in Latin, references to little known Victorian social reformers, etc. :)

I enjoyed this show v. much. What's the writer of this doing now? Anybody know? Has anybody seen that film she made, 'Festival'? Is it worth a gander? How many more questions will I ask?

Quote: sootyj @ June 14 2009, 12:30 PM BST

I liked it alot but it's dramedy not sitcom in the truest sense.

I liked it alot as well but it's comadram, dramadation, or accommodation comedy - not sitcom in the truest sense.

Hmm was that an example of criticism mixed with poor humour?

Perhaps crapper?

Festival is quite a good film. Fun to spot all the comedians doing bit parts.

The background music is f**king horrible though. Screechy traditional Scottish stuff. Bloody hell. Luckily there's not too much of it.

Quote: zooo @ June 15 2009, 2:07 PM BST

Festival is quite a good film. Fun to spot all the comedians doing bit parts.

The background music is f**king horrible though. Screechy traditional Scottish stuff. Bloody hell. Luckily there's not too much of it.

Oh no, not the bloody Scotch and their dismal screeching trad racket!

I shall have to check the film out next time it's on film 4.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 15 2009, 2:16 PM BST

Oh no, not the bloody Scotch and their dismal screeching trad racket!

I shall have to check the film out next time it's on film 4.

:D
Yes do. Is rather good.

Quote: chipolata @ June 15 2009, 10:51 AM BST

Isn't she married to Jack Davenport?

Good show, mind. Especially the first series. The second one went off the boil a bit, but it was never less than entertaining. I particularly liked the gay bloke, Rab, who was about the most mature and realistic portrait of a homosexual you're likely to see in a comedy show.

On the totty front, I liked the lead actress. Anne Dudek. Geeky sex appeal in spades.

Yes, she is married to Jack Davenport.