The Book Group

Why is this brilliant show so under rated and unloved compared to other channel 4 sitcoms like Father Ted and Black Books?

Quote: Adrian Gough @ June 13 2009, 4:10 PM BST

Why is this brilliant show so under rated and unloved compared to other channel 4 sitcoms like Father Ted and Black Books?

Because if you compare it to other Channel 4 sitcoms such as Father Ted and Black Books it isn't anywhere near as funny or loveable?

Is that Tim I see, hitting the nail on the head?

Hello Adrian, I don't think it's underrated, it's just not as good as those two. :)

Quite. Reasonably good show, but nothing amazing. And I don't really feel either way for Father Ted or Black Books.

I didn't see it when it was on, but I enjoyed watching the first series recently.
I didn't think of it as an out and out comedy.
More of a gentle comedic drama.

Think it's another ensemble piece from what I've heard. along lines of Early Doors or The Smoking Room

But they were funny. :)

Never seen The Smoking Room so couldn't say, but IMO Early Doors is a classic.

Quote: peter gazzard @ June 13 2009, 8:02 PM BST

Never seen Early Doors so couldn't say, but IMO The Smoking Room is a classic.

But yes, it's definitely more of a light-drama ensemble piece than a traditional sitcom.

So, is the Book Group worth a viewing? I've heard lots of good and am always anxious to see something new.

I don't think so, but you may love it. Who knows. :)

I really liked this show. It was very funny, but quite subtle. If I remember rightly the seconds series was a bit different in tone to the first. Really good cast too.

I remember seeing episodes of this, always felt it had rather an odd feeling to it. I didn't think it was bad or anything, but it didn't really work for me at the time.

Quote: Aaron @ June 13 2009, 5:59 PM BST

And I don't really feel either way for Father Ted or Black Books.

Two true greats of British sitcoms.

I liked it alot but it's dramedy not sitcom in the truest sense.
Comparing it to Black Books or Father Ted is like comparing League of Gentleman to Emmerdale.

I watched it as much for real characters, developing plots and interesting stories as much as the humour. Which was slight and subtle.

As sitcom no way was it funny enough as a dramedy it was more like a girlier version of Clocking Off.