Weak characters in great shows Page 3

Never much saw the point of Mickey Pearce in OFAH. Why he was still wearing early 1980s spiv clothes well into the 1990s was perhaps a joke that was lost on me.

Quote: Timbo @ June 13 2009, 1:18 PM BST

Others are Colin in Brittas,

I think you're in the minority there.

Clive Dunn's Jones was great, there were funnier characters in it, but still a great assett to the show. Boycie was great in my opinion and Mickey Pearce was a great target for Del in Only Fools. Remember the classic bit when Del had him babysitting at Damien's funeral.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 13 2009, 4:22 PM BST

Damien's funeral.

Huh?

I like the fact that you only saw half the head of the wise neighbour in Home Improvement - which was a stonking show!

:)

I don't rate Smiler in Last Of The Summer Wine, just seemed like Stephen Lewis was phoning in an Inspector Blake retread. Of course Roy Clarke created the character so he's to blame I suppose

Quote: Chappers @ June 11 2009, 6:38 PM BST

What is it you have against women?

Nothing ... not even my leg.

If there is a weak character in Dad's Army it is surely Private Cheeseman, who they tried to make into a replacement for Walker after James Beck died. The writers clearly realised he didn't work and got rid of him quite quickly.

Mr Spooner, the replacement for Mr Lucas, in Series 8-10 of Are You Being Served?. Never really liked him.

Kochanski in series 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf. They replaced Rimmer, one of the greatest creations in all of sitcom-dom, with her; but then gave her nothing funny to do! (Ok, you could argue, if you like, that Red Dwarf itself wasn't a great show in series 7 and 8, but try not to.)

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 11 2009, 7:21 PM BST

Quentin, in anything she does.

I'm not having that, I liked her character in MBB. PLus Jonathan Creek is an ace show. One of the finest drama shows ever (Twin Peaks being my all-time #1). :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 18 2009, 8:54 PM BST

Kochanski in series 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf. They replaced Rimmer, one of the greatest creations in all of sitcom-dom, with her; but then gave her nothing funny to do! (Ok, you could argue, if you like, that Red Dwarf itself wasn't a great show in series 7 and 8, but try not to.)

By and large I agree with this. 2, 3 and 4 are the peak period of the show. 6 is definitely one of the very best standalone series, though- my fave I'd say. I went off it big after that (or whenever Rimmer was hardly in it). Brilliant character.

I liked Jonathon Creek and MBB, I just don't like her.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 19 2009, 11:19 AM BST

(Twin Peaks being my all-time #1). :)

Ooh yes. :)

Quote: zooo @ June 19 2009, 2:38 PM BST

Ooh yes. :)

Lynch's magmum opus. One of the best shows of any kind ever. I love Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man too- his top 3 films IMO. I'm a big fan of his work.

ps: The only other American drama I loved was The Streets Of San Francisco. :)

He is fantastic, very much an acquired taste though. But I think Twin Peaks is probably his most accessible work. Possibly. :/