Weak characters in great shows Page 6

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 23 2009, 10:20 AM BST

The Twin Peaks film was a letdown, rather like the Futurama ones have been. The main 2 seasons are far better. Check 'em out.

If memory serves me right, that second season got a bit shit towards the end, hence the tumbling ratings and it's eventual cancellation. Still a class show, mind. And well worth checking out.

Agree about Futurama films, but if they helped get this new season commissioned then they served a purpose.

Quote: chipolata @ June 23 2009, 10:22 AM BST

If memory serves me right, that second season got a bit shit towards the end, hence the tumbling ratings and it's eventual cancellation. Still a class show, mind. And well worth checking out.

The tipping point was a few episodes onto season 2 and involved a scene with the dumb cop (Dewey?) repeatedly stepping on planks and having them hit him in the face. Fine when Sideshow Bob does it but Twin Peaks? Really?

Quote: zooo @ June 11 2009, 7:07 PM BST

Haha.
When I watch it now Leslie's character is quite annoying, but I like Dorothy in it.
At the time though, it was fine.

Agree with this. Dorothy was essential to the show.

Tyres in Spaced!

Quote: David Bussell @ June 23 2009, 10:53 AM BST

The tipping point was a few episodes onto season 2 and involved a scene with the dumb cop (Dewey?) repeatedly stepping on planks and having them hit him in the face. Fine when Sideshow Bob does it but Twin Peaks? Really?

Wasn't that in Scream...

Yeah, the stepping on planks/garden rakes thing has been used in a lot of stuff...National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Spongebob Squarepants, Simpsons, and Scream.

Quote: zooo @ June 23 2009, 1:51 PM BST

Tyres in Spaced!

I like him!

Quote: AndreaLynne @ June 23 2009, 1:56 PM BST

Yeah, the stepping on planks/garden rakes thing has been used in a lot of stuff...National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Spongebob Squarepants, Simpsons, and Scream.

I like Spongebob Squarepants. Errr

Me too, although I think its required in the US.

I love these forums. I get killed for liking Torchwood but no mentions my liking of Spongebob!

Quote: zooo @ June 23 2009, 1:51 PM BST

Tyres in Spaced!

Wasn't that in Scream...

Maybe, but it's defininitely in Twin Peaks too. I know because it's the point I stopped watching it a couple of weeks ago. I should mention that I'd already watched the show in it's entirety years before so I'm aware of how it ends.

This may have already been mentioned, but Polly in Fawlty Towers is a bit of a nothing character.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 24 2009, 12:20 PM BST

This may have already been mentioned, but Polly in Fawlty Towers is a bit of a nothing character.

Seriously? Some of her exchanges with Basil are quality (I'm thinking of the horse racing bet and the dead man in hotel room, amongst others). Every main character of Fawlty plays a significant part in the genius of that show.

I'm not really all that fond of Jen on The IT Crowd. She just seems too shouty. Absolutely love all the guys, though. Moss needs more screen time in the Christmas special and in series 4.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ June 24 2009, 12:26 PM BST

Seriously?

Well, nothing about her made me laugh, or engaged me, and her performance was a good few rungs below the actors surrounding her.

Talking about that dead man episode, that's the one when Dr Price (Geoffery Palmer) orders sausages, predictibaly doesn't get them and in a scene towards the end of the episode he's seen in the kitchen preparing them himself. That part always cracks me up.