CBBC: New Stories for the Next Generation Page 6

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 7 2009, 1:57 AM BST

So... is anybody going to reveal what kind of show they did submit?

Check 'Critique' on the 11th. You'll be in sub-standard kids' TV hog heaven.

My son is coming up on 4 and is graduating from CBeebies to CBBC. I picked a subject I know that he likes. Aliens. Although personally, I'm not keen on all this fighting there seems to be on kids TV at the moment. There's even a show about 3 kids who deliver chinese food that seems to include martial arts and almost constant fisticuffs.

I therefore tried to make my hero battle his inner fears and the elements rather than fight directly with the aliens.

And I uncluded a clever feisty girl with equal screentime for good measure.

I await the silence of another snub from Auntie whilst heading back to a rewrite of my current sitcom.

Quote: R.J. @ July 6 2009, 11:29 PM BST

At the end of the day it's just got to be a story that you care about. Whilst it's hard not to, second guessing what they may or may not want never really helps.

To be fair, I doubt that it'll be a deal-breaker, and to me it was about picking which one of two ideas I liked to write up.

And I'm more than willing to say what my premise was - it was basically a kid's detective series in the vein of the old Agatha Christie style books where it's more about a fun mystery than real plausibility (and cos it was kids, not about murder!)

Check 'Critique' on the 11th. You'll be in sub-standard kids' TV hog heaven.

I'm actually curious and might take a look at Critique on that day.

There's even a show about 3 kids who deliver chinese food that seems to include martial arts and almost constant fisticuffs.

Good God! No wonder they've set up this contes to find new writers.

And I uncluded a clever feisty girl with equal screentime for good measure.

Yeah, that's a good idea to do that. Give it a bit of balance.

it was basically a kid's detective series in the vein of the old Agatha Christie style books where it's more about a fun mystery than real plausibility

Sounds cool. If they're looking for something different, then they might go for that.

Mine was about a 11 year old boy who has a few problems in his life. (Contemporary issues that some kids have to deal with these days like absent fathers, new "dads" etc.) Because of this, his imaginary friend (a girl who he hasn't seen since his younger years) returns to him.
Of course, there's a lot more to it that just the imaginary friend scenerio.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 7 2009, 11:28 AM BST

Mine was about a 11 year old boy who has a few problems in his life. (Contemporary issues that some kids have to deal with these days like absent fathers, new "dads" etc.)

I think you've some scope for comedy in that. Perhaps, a super hero character called 'Rentadad.' who single mothers can call on when things are getting too much for them. Cheesey but might work for kids. :)

lol @ Rentadad. :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 7 2009, 11:28 AM BST

Mine was about a 11 year old boy who has a few problems in his life. (Contemporary issues that some kids have to deal with these days like absent fathers, new "dads" etc.) Because of this, his imaginary friend (a girl who he hasn't seen since his younger years) returns to him.
Of course, there's a lot more to it that just the imaginary friend scenerio.

Like a kids version of drop dead fred? Thats awesome!

Mines Action Comedy Drama. Hopefully They will like :D

Yeah, I suppose it's kinda like Drop Dead Fred.

Anyway, good luck everybody.
We don't have that much longer to wait.

Anyone heard anything?

Cool

Quote: dannyjb1 @ July 9 2009, 7:06 PM BST

Cool

Ooooh. Good news?

Quote: dannyjb1 @ July 9 2009, 7:06 PM BST

Cool

Mmmm. Would you care to elaborate Mr B? I didn't enter this so I would love someone I know to do well in it!

Looks like I'm out.

Bad luck Gav. Keep on truckin'

How do you know you're out?