CBBC: New Stories for the Next Generation Page 2

Yeah, decided to send mine too.
It's as good as I can make it.

Yeah, I know some peeps said I'd done it too fast, but I'm really happy with it.
I'd think "yeah, delusional" if it was someone else, which is what peeps are thinking, but, ah well, sent off, gone now. :)
In the lap of the gods.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ May 22 2009, 2:19 PM BST

Just sent my one in about two amazing 10 year-old violinists. Its called the Kiddie Fiddlers.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 27 2009, 7:20 PM BST

Yeah, I know some peeps said I'd done it too fast, but I'm really happy with it.
I'd think "yeah, delusional" if it was someone else,

Yep! You still had a month, it seems utter madness to me, but best of luck! :) And a script is never as good as you can make it, there's always room for improvement, that room sometimes only becomes apparent when you've walked away from a script for a few weeks and come back with fresh eyes.

Yeah, I suppose. :)
I'll probably end up kicking myself.

Funny thing is... some scripts I can churn out in days, while others take weeks... but my novel I'm working on is taking AGES! :P

Started my first draft for this comp today. It's going well but I've got to go to work in a bit, although I'll probably spend most of my time thinking up more ideas for this script rather than working. :D

Got over a month before the deadline so just going to take my time with it and hopefully it'll pay off. :)

Just noticed the FAQ - asked about whether comedy is allowed it says along the lines of 'not sitcom, but comedy drama'.

Missed that. Have to start again...

Is anyone going to the Q&A related to this?

Just noticed the FAQ - asked about whether comedy is allowed it says along the lines of 'not sitcom, but comedy drama'.

My submission was a comedy-drama. Kind of a mix of both.
If you watch any CBBC shows (MI High, Sarah Jane etc) or think back to Grange Hill, you'll find that there's always a dash of comedy in them. Kids like to be entertained. Solid drama would be boring to them.

Is anyone going to the Q&A related to this?

I'm not. Too late anyway for me. Sent my entry already.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 11 2009, 7:30 PM BST

My submission was a comedy-drama. Kind of a mix of both.
If you watch any CBBC shows (MI High, Sarah Jane etc) or think back to Grange Hill, you'll find that there's always a dash of comedy in them. Kids like to be entertained. Solid drama would be boring to them.

Yeah, comedy drama is where I'm going. Aiming for, as you say, Sarah Jane, rather than Young Dracula.

I'm not convinced by your last sentence at all, though! Strikes me a bit as received wisdom. I think, in general, people talk a lot of old guff about what kids can and can't sit through. I remember Disney being convinced, absolutely convinced, that kids couldn't cope with a film that didn't have songs every ten minutes or so - until Toy Story was released and proved that they could. I was in a production of Peter Pan years ago, the full scale original stage play rather than a pantomime, and it opened with a single half hour scene in one room. None of us thought that the kids would be able to take that. And yet they lapped it up.

Give them a strong enough story, characters they care about, then they'll sit through anything. If there is a touch of humour in every CBBC show I think that's more about the patronising attitudes of the producers and less about the actual tastes of the children.

(Having said all that, how do you define 'solid drama' anyway? Very little drama is completely humourless, as far as I can see. Even the grimmest Jimmy McGovern can have a gag. Alan Bleasdale does it all the time. Yosser's Story, the grimmest Boys from the Blackstuff play, has the best joke of the series...)

I think Young Dracula is rather good. It's very popular in our house.

I agree that children can cope with solid drama - drama includes lots of emotions including joy, if not laughter.
I would like to think I have an advantage on knowing what children like having one myself, but I have a feeling my slightly odd child is probably not representative.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 12 2009, 9:49 AM BST

I think Young Dracula is rather good. It's very popular in our house.

Oh, I didn't mean I didn't like it - I meant that it's clearly the children's sitcom end of the spectrum, and as a result not something in the comp's remit.

OK, OK, I'll retract that.

:)

Kids'll like drama too :)

Just saw this on Writersroom about the Q&A today:

"There are still spaces for our Q&A with new Head of Drama at CBBC and writer Ellie Brewer - if you would like to come, just turn up!!

Where is the Q&A? Anyone know?

Quote: Antrax @ June 15 2009, 1:20 PM BST

Where is the Q&A? Anyone know?

Royal Court, Sloane Sq.