CBBC: New Stories for the Next Generation Page 4

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 29 2009, 9:18 PM BST

So do you two guys only write sitcoms. (usually)

Well, comedy in general, I don't try and write any straight drama.

I have to agree that it was fun trying something different - in my case, this was more actually writing something full length from scratch for a comp. Never done that before. Rather enjoyed it.

Cool. Well, good luck all. :)

Yay! Good luck all :) I enjoyed this project thoroughly we'll know soon. Best thing about this comp.

Just got back from the post office. This was actually more enjoyable than I imagined. Can see myself having another go when I get more time.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 29 2009, 9:18 PM BST

So do you two guys only write sitcoms. (usually)

I mainly write sitcoms yes, but I write sketches from time to time and have come up with drama ideas and written up plans etc but I've never actually started on a script for one.

Kids TV was something I'd never even really considered, but as I said, I really enjoyed writing this and would love the chance to do more. :)

I'd never really considered childrens' TV either, so it was a good exercise.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 1 2009, 12:07 PM BST

I'd never really considered childrens' TV either, so it was a good exercise.

It was, I had a lot of fun writing mine. I don't expect to make the short list, but it was a good diversion from the norm.

And it's another addition to the portfolio. :)

Good luck people. See y'all in ten days...

I'm pretty sure mine has got lost in the post.

...or that's what I'll tell myself when I hear nothing back - and then go postal on their asses.

And mine has got accidently kicked under the doormat. :P

I'm sure people here have already seen this, but worth putting up for anyone who didn't - over 700 entries and obviously in the first cut that's going right down to 15-20 people.

Hrmph!

Like with most things, a chunk of those will be cut right away because they open with the line 'Oh shit f**k monkey brain' or something equally unsuitable for kids, or they're written on toilet paper, or it's 836 pages long. But still.

Here's crossing everything that they just like the idea. It's definitely well written, but I have this sensation that I secretly wrote something that's an idea for adult drama and just put two kids in the main roles, hah.

"It's definitely well written, but I have this sensation that I secretly wrote something that's an idea for adult drama and just put two kids in the main roles, hah."

I don't know about well written :P but I understand what you are saying about making it a bit too mature for the target audience. I think mine was a bit edgy but they said they wanted to push boundaries and explore new ideas so here's hoping :)

Blimey. 700 entries down to 18-20 is going to be one hell of a cull.
They're going to have to be ruthless.