Comparing TV Schedules 1970s & Now Page 7

Quote: chipolata @ May 14 2009, 10:42 AM BST

Didn't they bludgeon disabled people to death with rocks back then?

That's how they got disabled. :)

There probably would have been more people with disabilites then, given the lack of medical intervention.

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 14 2009, 10:36 AM BST

I personally think it is not a race issue

Making it an issue of race is the lowest-common-denominator response of the loser attempting to smear, belittle, and generally discredit the winning argument. Be glad they're slinging it around!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 14 2009, 10:45 AM BST

That's how they got disabled. :)

There probably would have been more people with disabilites then, given the lack of medical intervention.

Much shorter life expectancies as well. For example, there would have been no people your age back then, Dolly. :)

Quote: Aaron @ May 14 2009, 10:43 AM BST

Because that was a consciously anachronistic, fantastically funny children's sitcom where the characters regularly broke out in song. And it also had a black man. It was not a dramatic interpretation attempting something close to believability.

I had no problem with the people choosen for that show because it was a comedy, I also have no problem with Blazing Saddles, again it's a comedy not a drama!

Quote: Aaron @ May 14 2009, 10:47 AM BST

Making it an issue of race is the lowest-common-denominator

Thanks babe. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ May 14 2009, 10:47 AM BST

Making it an issue of race is the lowest-common-denominator response of the loser attempting to smear, belittle, and generally discredit the winning argument. Be glad they're slinging it around!

It is a race issue, and it's disengenuous to suggest anything else.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 14 2009, 10:45 AM BST

More likely that they just died.

Quote: chipolata @ May 14 2009, 10:47 AM BST

Much shorter life expectancies as well. For example, there would have been no people your age back then, Dolly. :)

We were the wise old women, who knew best. Nothing's changed then.

Quote: Aaron @ May 14 2009, 10:45 AM BST

What's the difference?

Even the thickest child knows what Winston Churchill or Queen Elizabeth looked like, making them look radically different would be very distracting to the viewer (although can be done in certain circumstances, if you are specifically trying for that feel etc.) But casting someone in a part like Friar Tuck, or background actors for goodness sake, which were mentioned earlier, is a wholly different thing.
If you can't see that for yourself, I can't be bothered to explain frankly.

Quote: Aaron @ May 14 2009, 10:38 AM BST

Exactly. They may have used white ACTORS but they used makeup so that they were realistic within the context. Even if that makeup was cheap and not in the slightest bit convincing, they still made the effort. So yeah, let's white-up the actor. :)

Terry Scott in bisto looks like Terry Scott in bisto. Aaron have you ever met a none caucasian person?

I'd like to see a real faithful version of Malory's Mort de Arthur. But how likely is that to happen?

Mind you look at this disrespectful version.

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 14 2009, 10:47 AM BST

I had no problem with the people choosen for that show because it was a comedy, I also have no problem with Blazing Saddles, again it's a comedy not a drama!

Prezunctly. :)

Quote: Aaron @ May 14 2009, 10:49 AM BST

More likely that they just died.

Not from blindness, loss of limbs, etc. Many occuaptions were very hazardous. A broken leg could result in a permentant limp, for example.

Maidenpriest made it a race issue by the way, and can't claim that it was nothing to do with race once we all jumped on him.

(And I am sorry he's been jumped on, I'm sure none of us meant to offend him personally.) :)

Quote: zooo @ May 14 2009, 10:50 AM BST

Even the thickest child knows what Winston Churchill or Queen Elizabeth looked like,

I don't know, there are some pretty thick children about nowadays.

Quote: zooo @ May 14 2009, 10:51 AM BST

(And I am sorry he's been jumped on, I'm sure none of us meant to offend him personally.) :)

I did. :)

Quote: chipolata @ May 14 2009, 10:48 AM BST

It is a race issue, and it's disengenuous to suggest anything else.

Perhaps - but only so much as those races were extremely rare in Britain at the time. Nothing like the way you are trying to make it out to be.