Man About The House
George And Mildred
Porridge
Fawlty Towers
Please Sir!
The Likely Lads
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Are You Being Served?

The one thing to say about this list is that all these sitcoms were on before 9pm and all broad sitcoms (BBC1 and ITV). What is there on before 9 now? My Family, The Green Green Grass... Makes you shudder. You also add to that list The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and Last of the Summer Wine. I think the big difference between 1975 and today is there used to be challenging, mainstream sitcoms (Steptoe, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp). Not any more there ain't. The better stuff is on BBC2 or Channel 4 these days but I'd say that the quality hasn't been great on those in recent years. In fact, since the early 2000s (LoG, The Office, Phoenix Nights) there haven't been many classic shows at all except Peep Show, at a push Extras; Pulling (classic - don't make me laugh).

None of those sitcoms if made today would feel right in today's world. It's like the old Carry Ons - they're great to watch as nostalgia or as seeing a snapshot of how comedy was 30 years ago, but when you see the same gags being performed by more contemporary performers a la Columbus, it just feels wrong.

For instance Ant and Dec did an original Likely Lads script and it didn't really work. Now you can say that's because James Bolam and Rod Bewes were much better performers or whatever, but I really don't think that's the reason. British comedy has quite simply evolved over the years. Before the era you're talking about, British comedy was different again. We had the likes of Arthur Askey singing about Buzzy Bees in the 1950s and Ealing comedies etc. And I'm sure people in the 1970s would have been watching Dad's Army and Porridge and going "This is awful, it was much better when we had George Formby flicks".

Modern comedies that I'd put into the "Classic" stable would be Father Ted, The Office, Extras, The Royle Family, Phoenix Nights, League Of Gents, Alan Partridge, Early Doors etc.

I do agree that right at this present moment there is a dearth of great comedy, but there are always peaks and troughs. Things can only get better.

Can only get, can only get
They get on from here
You know, I know that
Things can only get better.

(c) D:Ream

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ May 7 2009, 6:07 PM BST

I posted a thread this morning about John Cleese's article relating to TV comedy these days. Some people replied and said that the 1970s shows aren't much better than today's.

So, here is a BBC TV schedule for a Saturday night in 1975:

6.30 - This is Your Life
7.00 - Dixon of Dock Green
7.30 - Dad's Army
8.00 - The Two Ronnies
8.30 - Steptoe & Son

This Saturday night:

6.30 - Robin Hood
7.00 - Tonight's The Night
8.00 - National Lottery 1 vs. 100
8.50 - BBC News

**Please note on BBC Two at 6.30 there is a repeat of Dad's Army**

I think it's pretty clear which era is better.

It's all very well taking two random Saturday evenings for the sake of making one look better than the other, but what about the 48 weeks of the year when Dad's, Ronnies and Steptoe weren't on? I'll tell you what was on - Seaside Summer f**king Special. And in later years, Metal Mickey, Buck Rogers, Roland sodding Rat, Little and Large - yeah, quality! I was actually around during these years and the only reason why one watched a lot of this stuff, was because there was bugger all else on!

We're far more able to be selective now, thank Gawd.

Quote: Craig @ May 11 2009, 11:24 AM BST

Today there is NOTHING that compares (

There is.

Quote: chipolata @ May 11 2009, 11:26 AM BST

You could come up with a list of equal length for this decade as well.

Yes.

Part of the essence of this thread, and any attempt to compare one age with another, is the implicit notion that we somehow shouldn't/don't advance or develop as a species. On the Buses, Generation Game, George and Mildred or whatever, were fine at the time, but would be bloody awful now, because, for good or ill, we've evolved, and the nature of television has changed.

And attempts to recreate the past most often fall on stony ground. Witness the lifeless re-invention of Reggie Perrin or the way the ITV try desperately try and convince us that Vernon Kay is some kind of modern 'Brucie'.

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ May 7 2009, 6:07 PM BST

So, here is a BBC TV schedule for a Saturday night in 1975:

6.30 - This is Your Life
7.00 - Dixon of Dock Green
7.30 - Dad's Army
8.00 - The Two Ronnies
8.30 - Steptoe & Son

Is that even a real BBC schedule from 1975?

I only ask because as far as I recall 'This is Your Life' was an ITV show during the 70s and 80s.

I also don't recall either Dad's Army or Steptoe airing on a Saturday night (certainly not for first run episodes). And didn't Steptoe end in 1974?

And wasn't The Two Ronnies a 50 minute show?

Quote: PhilSug @ May 11 2009, 6:16 PM BST

1974?

And wasn't The Two Ronnies a 50 minute show?

Mmmm. I remember The Two Ronnies as a BBC2 show.

Yes, Steptoe ended in 1974.

To be fair though, he didn't actually say that it was from one channel, just a 'BBC TV' schedule.

And regarding The Two Ronnies, most episodes were 45 minutes long, and 2 (of 12) series were on BBC 2. The rest were on 1.

Quote: Aaron @ May 11 2009, 7:18 PM BST

Yes, Steptoe ended in 1974.

To be fair though, he didn't actually say that it was from one channel, just a 'BBC TV' schedule.

But I'm far from convinced that its even a real 'BBC TV' schedule.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 10 2009, 11:38 PM BST

Probably also worth noting that Robin Hood features a slender, good-looking black actor as Friar Tuck (I'm not joking).

We live in decadent, delusional and massively f**king stupid times.

Terrible isn't it, that in these PC times we can not have a show that is historically acurate. I.e. there were no black people in Robin Hood's time. It is for this reason I don't watch it, I just can't get past that fact. :( I quite enjoyed the first couple of eposide until an ethnic woman became part of the 'Merry Men'. That totally spoilt it for me - the 1980s Robin of Sherwood is better IMO.

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 13 2009, 11:02 AM BST

I.e. there were no black people in Robin Hood's time. It is for this reason I don't watch it, I just can't get past that fact.

Were they invented in the 16th century then?

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 13 2009, 11:02 AM BST

the 1980s Robin of Sherwood is better IMO.

Big Clannad fan, eh?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 13 2009, 12:30 PM BST

Were they invented in the 16th century then?

In ye Olde England their was not anyone of African descent yet in this country and certainly not in Robin Hood's gang, so why do the BBC have to mess with facts it is giving the younger generation false information IMO.

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 13 2009, 12:59 PM BST

In ye Olde England their was not anyone of African descent yet in this country and certainly not in Robin Hood's gang, so why do the BBC have to mess with facts it is giving the younger generation false information IMO.

You never heard of artistic licence? Your quibble seems a tad petty. It's a piece of entertainment, not a bleedin' documentary.

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 13 2009, 12:59 PM BST

In ye Old England their was not anyone of African descent yet in this country and certainly not in Robin Hoods gang, so why do the BBC have to mess with facts it is giving the younger generation false information IMO

Well for starters we are all of African descent. Secondly there were people living in England from far flung nations at that time; sometimes as a result of the Crusades to the Middle East.

And as someone pointed out there's also artistic licence and interpretation. Robin Hood probably didn't even exist and the show is an adventure drama, not a historical reconstruction.