Comparing TV Schedules 1970s & Now Page 6

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 14 2009, 9:02 AM BST

It is not a bizarre view of mine. If throughout my life 'Robin Hood' had a black character then it would be a bizarre or even racial point of view of mine, but in every British book, play, film, drawing, TV show there have been no black members of his merry men

I didn't realise you'd read and studied every representation of Robin Hood that has ever been produced, my apologies.
You are assuming an awful lot here.

So IMO it is not very entertaining because the black actors stick out like a sore thumb

Um, maybe only to certain people. Non whites don't 'stick out like a sore thumb' to everybody. :)

what next a drama about Winston Churchill with a black woman playing the role?

I already addressed this and said that would clearly be silly.

Quote: chipolata @ May 14 2009, 10:31 AM BST

Yeah, I was thinking of that racist plasticene animator.

The one who did Wallace Simpson and Gromit? :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 14 2009, 10:23 AM BST

I'm not the only person to have noticed. Loads of TV reviewers and viewers complained that Robin and his gang appear to be wearing hoodies and parkas and the women, Marion in particular, are wearing very obvious modern make-up. It's just funny that not many people mind this in a piece of fantasy drama, but do object to race issues.

Well, having not seen the show beyond episode one, I can't really comment on the detail like that. But there's a certain suspension of disbelief in costumery. Even now, fashions vary a little around the country, so many people wouldn't really be bothered by something which is a bit different. Anyway, is there proof that certain types of clothing (thinking more of hooded tops than there 'parkas') weren't in existence? Don't monks (stereotypically) wear them? It's not the most well-documented era in British history, particularly amongst the common populace.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 14 2009, 10:23 AM BST

I'm not the only person to have noticed. Loads of TV reviewers and viewers complained that Robin and his gang appear to be wearing hoodies and parkas and the women, Marion in particular, are wearing very obvious modern make-up. It's just funny that not many people mind this in a piece of fantasy drama, but do object to race issues.

I personally think it is not a race issue, but just a matter of getting the right look for the characters, nothing to do with racism and no doubt because some people wish for a more accurate representation of Robin Hood free from PC bullshit. Why then is it considered racist? How sad that we live in times that a show has to employ people due to their ethnicity rather than the correct look for the part. :( Apparently next series is to include an electric wheelchair bound member of Robin's Gang!

Quote: sootyj @ May 14 2009, 10:28 AM BST

It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Carry Ons were full of podgy white actors painted in Bisto. Not very realistic.

Exactly. They may have used white ACTORS but they used makeup so that they were realistic within the context. Even if that makeup was cheap and not in the slightest bit convincing, they still made the effort. So yeah, let's white-up the actor. :)

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 14 2009, 10:36 AM BST

I personally think it is not a race issue, but just a matter of getting the right look for the characters

I expect the director was doing exactly this, only going by his or her decision not maidenpriest's. :)

The wheelchair would be completely and utterly inaccurate (as would say a wrist watch) but the gang could quite possibly include a disabled character. Unless you believe that disabilites weren't invented until the 1970s....

Hehe, was it really Bisto?
I hope so.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 14 2009, 10:39 AM BST

The wheelchair would be completely and utterly inaccurate (as would say a wrist watch) but the gang could quite possibly include a disabled character. Unless you believe that disabilites weren't invented until the 1970s....

The blacks brought them over in the '50s on those boats I think.

Quote: maidenpriest @ May 14 2009, 10:36 AM BST

How sad that we live in times that a show has to employ people due to there ethnicity rather than the correct look for the part. :( Apparently next series is to include an electric wheelchair bound member of Robin's Gang!

The actor wasn't chosen because of his race. Apparently actors of all colours auditioned for the part (the actor himself was surprised when his agent suggested he go up for the part. The casting call didn't state an ethnic preference). The actor got the part because the director thought he would work well in the part.

Didn't they bludgeon disabled people to death with rocks back then?

Quote: zooo @ May 14 2009, 10:40 AM BST

Hehe, was it really Bisto?
I hope so.

The blacks brought them over in the '50s on those boats I think.

Yes, I believe Windrush was like a Noah's Ark for minorities.

Quote: chipolata @ May 14 2009, 10:34 AM BST

And I notice nobody has kicked up a fuss about Maid Marian And Her Merry Men which had Marion as the leader and Robin as an incompetent boob.

Because that was a consciously anachronistic, fantastically funny children's sitcom where the characters regularly broke out in song. And it also had a black man. It was not a dramatic interpretation attempting something close to believability.

Er.... No I said 'Electric Wheelchair' user, ie a modern thing like an Electric Wheelchair in the show because of disability laws rather than what is best for the show!

Quote: Aaron @ May 14 2009, 10:43 AM BST

Because that was a consciously anachronistic, fantastically funny children's sitcom where the characters regularly broke out in song. And it also had a black man. It was not a dramatic interpretation attempting something close to believability.

Neither's this Robin Hood. It's just a trashy Saturday night kids drama.

Quote: zooo @ May 14 2009, 10:35 AM BST

I already addressed this and said that would clearly be silly.

What's the difference?