In Sickness & In Health

Hi, I am new to this board but for some time have been trying to buy the above. Does anyone on here know weather it is ever going to be released? I sent an e-mail to UKTV Gold (a station part-owned by the Beeb!) who said they have "compliance issues" with this programme making it unsuitable to show in this day and age. I find that strange seeing as Alf Garnett was created by Johnny Speight to lampoon racists. A point which when I phoned UKTV Gold to chat with them was compltely lost on the young lad I spoke to. Must have been nearly time for his nappy change! Hope someone can help

richard1960 :S :(

Quote: richard1960 @ September 27, 2006, 7:55 PM

... who said they have "compliance issues" with this programme making it unsuitable to show in this day and age.

Welcome to the board Richard! I think the problem is that, whilst you are right that the show was actually made to lampoon racists, its now being seen by some as racist itself. I think a lot of people (like the UKTV phone monkey by the sounds of it) just wouldn't grasp that it was satire if they saw it today.

I may be wrong. Anyone else got an opinion?

It's the double standards that get me. A show that was made to poke fun at racist bigots like Alf Garnett is off limits in this day and age. But it's OK for the Little Britain guys to black up and make fun of black people and asians, whilst Extras last week featured the 'Chin Chin Chinaman covered in shit' song. A white man pretending to be Chinese and singing in a silly accent. Isn't that racist? The work experience kid at UKTV would probably say that LB and Extras are acceptable because they're being ironic...Irony, you see, covers you against all criticism. That was ISAIH's problem - it didn't hide behind irony.

hi,just thoght i would let you know there is a website called.www.raretv.net. i have just ordered the complete run of in sickness and in health for £24.99. so uktv can do a runner with their pc views. of alf garnett and in sickness and in health.incidentially uktv gold is part owned by the bbc,who made this series!!!!!!!!!.

Ooo, good to see that they're back online!

Haven't seen In Sickness And Health in years and years.What I remember of it was very good.Yet another classic sitcom I'll have to start collecting on DVD.

This has to be one of the best sequels ever. Great writing and great actors. Please watch this!

I've never watched any Alf Garnett before until now. Not even Till Death Us Do Part

Just watched series 1 and I find it hilarious. Alf is very funny and his rants are very hilarious. Feel sorry for Else though how can you live with him.

My favourite episodes so far are the first episode with the home help and the episode Rita cones to stay. Can't wait to watch the rest of this show.

Series 1 is easily the weakest series by far

It gets much much better!

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th November 2018, 7:53 PM

Series 1 is easily the weakest series by far

It gets much much better!

Can't wait to watch the rest.

The loss of Dandy Nichols doesn't affect much of the show then?

Nope

Series 2 is brilliant

There's an episode with Irene Handle and Patrica Hayes - absolutely hysterical!

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th November 2018, 12:11 PM

Nope

Series 2 is brilliant

There's an episode with Irene Handle and Patrica Hayes - absolutely hysterical!

I watched 2 now and the episode where the neighbours come to stay is brilliant and hilarious. Best one yet. The one where he is locked out is funny too.

Brilliant so far can't wait to watch 3.

Why can't someone start a station that shows all of these supposedly politically incorrect shows? Everyone should know what they're letting themselves in for so there shouldn't be any complaints. And the viewing figures would be astronomical.

Good idea but would they get past the censor? Also as the Beeb owns a lot of them I doubt they'd want their name tarnished any more than it currently is.

Maybe it could be a subscription channel so the Beeb can make money out of it. Maybe 5 pound a month for uncut episodes of BBC or even ITV classic sitcoms? So that way they won't have to worry about offending anyone because it will only be people who want to watch them and it will be only for people that won't be offended. It'd be a choice for people to pay for it or not. Maybe when people agree to pay for the subscription they could sign to some sort of an agreement that they can't sue the BBC for showing the uncut politically incorrect programmes.