Hi-De-Hi! closing credits Page 2

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 8th March 2015, 5:53 PM GMT

It took me two or three series before I realised they were a married couple. Was that fact made clear right from the start (with me just being inattentive) or was that an idea worked in late into the show? From that point on I thought Barry had a late coming out with the marriage now being a farce. I was wrong again.

No, the marriage was never made quite clear either. I think it's more deliberately ambiguous at the start, as to whether they're married or he just uses her name as a front.

Quote: Aaron @ 8th March 2015, 5:59 PM GMT

No, the marriage was never made quite clear either. I think it's more deliberately ambiguous at the start, as to whether they're married or he just uses her name as a front.

I was always under the impression that they were a co-habiting couple existing under an assumed married name to ensure that they fitted into the rather straight-laced morals of the 1950s. I also found it amusing that Jeffrey and later Clive, were sleeping with various nubile female Yellowcoats. Those cheap ex-army beds must have *creaked*.

On the subject of Hi-De-Hi - we cannot ignore this elephant in the room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvGdOC6D1Y

God that was dire!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th March 2015, 6:40 PM GMT

God that was dire!

I cannot for the life of me work out whether he was performing it in a 'comic style' or he really can't sing?

I think, he really did think he was making a great job of it. >_<

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th March 2015, 6:51 PM GMT

I think, he really did think he was making a great job of it. >_<

I sing in a choir and we did a gig in a really noisy pub the other night. There's a woman there who cannot sing a note and she was bellowing in my right ear throughout the performance - arggghh!

Anyway, back to Hi-De-Hi - series one has duly been added to my rental list :0

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th March 2015, 6:56 PM GMT

Anyway, back to Hi-De-Hi - series one has duly been added to my rental list :0

There's this hilarious montage in the very first episode where you're getting a summary of week one of the holiday season in the camp on polaroid stills. Every third or fourth picture is showing Spike being thrown into the pool in a different costume. One of the funniest scenes of the whole show imo.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th March 2015, 6:03 PM GMT

I was always under the impression that they were a co-habiting couple existing under an assumed married name to ensure that they fitted into the rather straight-laced morals of the 1950s. I also found it amusing that Jeffrey and later Clive, were sleeping with various nubile female Yellowcoats. Those cheap ex-army beds must have *creaked*.

I suspect this was the original intention, but it later become more profitable for the comic and plotting possibilities to have them as genuinely married.

Of course the validity and state of that marriage is another matter. They did have separate beds, after all.

And Jeffrey never slept with anyone!

Quote: Aaron @ 8th March 2015, 7:34 PM GMT

They did have separate beds, after all.

Maybe a normal thing for the 50s...let's ask Herc. :P

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 8th March 2015, 7:47 PM GMT

Maybe a normal thing for the 50s...let's ask Herc. :P

Ah-ha - that's why HGT is so fruity on this site!

I am also guessing, from a HDH point of view, that the majority of the double beds (and by that I mean a four foot double - erk!) were given to the campers and that the Yellowcoats had to slum it in sub-standard accommodation with rickety furniture.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 9th March 2015, 12:54 PM GMT

Ah-ha - that's why HGT is so fruity on this site!

Oh dear, I'm getting a reputation! :$

with rickety furniture.

I knew his step-brother, Arthur Armchair.